Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Questions from a newbie about food plots. >

Questions from a newbie about food plots.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Questions from a newbie about food plots.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Questions from a newbie about food plots.

I have a couple of areas I am trying to turn into nutritional/ hunting plots. Two are 60ft by 60ft and the third is 75ft by 200ft. I originally planted the 75ft by 200ft area in March and have been very disapointed so far[&:]. I didn't check the ph before planting and thus I wasted a bunch of seed[]. I checked the ph of all of the plot areas today and got a 5.5 reading on each. How much Lime do I need for each plot? Two plots at 3600sqft and one at 15000sqft. Everything Ihave read talks about tons of lime per acre. I need to raise the ph by 1.5 on each plot, butI am at a loss as to how much lime I need. How do you apply the lime to your plots? I was thinking I might try amanual fertilizer spreader. I am also wondering as to how long I need to wait after applying the lime before I seed the plot.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:17 AM

Default RE: Questions from a newbie about food plots.

Welcome to the board, I would recommend a detailed soil sample. Your local ag shop can provide the details on how to collect the sample, they are cheap. This will provide the information on lime amounts and fertilizer required. Chances are you will be able to spread the lime by push spreader or ATV in plots that size.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Spike

Took in four samples to the ag. center from each location. My test strips I got for Antler King were right on. The two smaller plots (3600sqft) were 5.4 and 5.5. The larger plot (15000sqft) was at 5.3. Right now I am going to concentrate on the two smaller plots by putting 600lbs of lime in each. The larger plot has a 55gal feeder at one end and I am going to just let it be for the time being.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Spike

Anyone have any ideas on some good heavy graze plot mixes. The Wildlife Management Area personel are behind schedule on replanting their plots in the WMA and we are seeing a very healthy increase in the deer on our property. We got a lot of rain in the past two weeks and the largest plot came to life and is now on the verge of being ate to the dirt. I am still working on the two smaller plots. I can feel the eyes on me when I am out there. They are just bitting at the bit for something green to pop up.