HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Those who use minerals...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/248193-those-who-use-minerals.html)

TexasBowHunter 06-03-2008 04:39 PM

Those who use minerals......

what products are you noticing the bucks using more, if any? Which products have you used that you will not use anymore? Why?

Bob S 06-03-2008 05:02 PM

RE: Those who use minerals......

Here is one of my mineral sites. I only use Trophy Rock.

shamlin 06-03-2008 08:30 PM

I say theres a variety of products that work just as well as the other. I have tried a few diffrent things but works good is actually just a mineral block at you local feed store. Make sure you bust it up and pour some creek water on it to dissolve. Sometimes I will go back and refresh it with some "Deer Cocaine".

jake_ 06-04-2008 02:12 PM

lots of stuff out there.

maybe look into www.whitetailinstitute.com they have a seed/mineral sample pack for 20$ shipped. you get alot of stuff.

dtk913 06-04-2008 02:46 PM

We mix are own. We can mix up 200 lbs. for les than $30, and the deer go nuts over it.

Dan

White-tail-deer 06-04-2008 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: dtk913

We mix are own. We can mix up 200 lbs. for les than $30, and the deer go nuts over it.

Dan
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

TexasBowHunter 06-04-2008 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

ORIGINAL: dtk913

Dan
Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Yes, please do, thats the reason I wanted to start this thread. I would like to start minerals but would like to maybe use some of your experiences.

dtk913 06-04-2008 06:21 PM

Sorry guys, I should have done that to start with. It is :

1 part rock Salt
1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral

These can all be purchased at your local co-op. I use a coffee can to put the mix together. I usually put about 4-5 lbs out at a time and then refresh them every couple of weeks. I was told not to mix the ingredients together until you are ready to use them, I don't know why but I don't do it. All of the ingredients come in 25lbs bags. Now is a good time to get it out there. They will really tear it up during the summer. Good Luck.

If you guys use trail cams, these licks are a great place to get a lot of pictures.

Dan

White-tail-deer 06-04-2008 06:48 PM

Thanks! I'll give that mix a try!

timbercruiser 06-04-2008 07:11 PM

I use trace mineral salt and Di-Cal 50/50. Why do you mix rock salt with it? The trace mineral is over 90% salt.