Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Those who use minerals......

Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Those who use minerals......

ORIGINAL: dtk913

Sorry guys, I should have done that to start with. It is :

1 part rock Salt
1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral

These can all be purchased at your local co-op. I use a coffee can to put the mix together. I usually put about 4-5 lbs out at a time and then refresh them every couple of weeks. I was told not to mix the ingredients together until you are ready to use them, I don't know why but I don't do it. All of the ingredients come in 25lbs bags. Now is a good time to get it out there. They will really tear it up during the summer. Good Luck.

If you guys use trail cams, these licks are a great place to get a lot of pictures.

Dan
Thanks Dan,
This is the kind of info I was hoping to draw into the forum.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

It is just another attractant that helps to keep them coming back.

Dan
Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Iwouldn't be surprised ifthe trace mineral is over 98 % salt. Whats the tag say?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

So is a Co-oplike a local feed store? Or can I get that stuff at the local feed store? I have never tried a mineral site before but you have gotten me interested reading this. Do you just pour it out on the ground in a pile, dig a hole, or spread it around?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, a Co-Op is like your local feed store. When you start the site you want to take a stick or a rake and clean out a circle about 2 feet wide. After I do that I just pour it out on the ground. Some people will dig a hole and then pour it in. I have never done that, but I am sure there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Dan
Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dtk913

Sorry guys, I should have done that to start with. It is :

1 part rock Salt
1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts trace mineral

These can all be purchased at your local co-op. I use a coffee can to put the mix together. I usually put about 4-5 lbs out at a time and then refresh them every couple of weeks. I was told not to mix the ingredients together until you are ready to use them, I don't know why but I don't do it. All of the ingredients come in 25lbs bags. Now is a good time to get it out there. They will really tear it up during the summer. Good Luck.

If you guys use trail cams, these licks are a great place to get a lot of pictures.

Dan
You know I've read some interesting opinions on using regular rock salt. I personally don't, I use mineral and the di-calcium phosphate and dried moloasses instead. But the opinion was adding the extra rock salt, which has no real beneficial mineral in it that the mineral salt doesn't have, just makes the deer more thirsty forcing them to drink more water. When they drink more water they actually eat less which doesn't allow them to substain all the nutrition that they need. In return the bucks aren't reaching full potential. It's an interesting theory and one I don't think there is enough information on but just thought I would share.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using 30-06 plus protein for the whitetail institute. I have been very happy with the outcome thus far. supposed to help all throughout the antler growing season!