Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

mowing clover?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Default RE: mowing clover?

so i will cut it like once a week sound good?????
at like how many inches?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once a week is more than I mow my lawn -

Mow this much, and you'll have to beat the deer off the get the mower on the plot -
Seriously - are youreally looking for tips or are you just wasting people's time that want offer advice?

FH
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

I've cut mine twice in two months. Mainly to choke out the weeds. Its never looked better!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 AM

well i just cut mine yesterday with our lawn mower io cut it at about 3.5 inches.
Mow this much, and you'll have to beat the deer off the get the mower on the plot - what do you mean by this?
i guess ill wait for about 2-3 weeks bvefore cutting again
bvasically all i want to know is............will i hurt the plot by cutting low and cutting often?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mowing once a week is too much -
that was my point -

Most guys I know mow 3x per year - but you could easily go 5-6 times without a problem.

If you cut too low in a dry part of the summer - the deer might not have much to forage on - but I don't think in neccessarilyhurts the clover - but it could if its dry enough. I mow down to about 6" because I like to leave ample forage in the summer months for the deer.

FH
Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM

My clover/chicory plot is going on it's third year. I've already mowed it twice to keep the weeds at bay. (it was two weeks in between mowings) and I will be mowing again next week (2 weeks again) then the plot is normally 80% weed free from there on. I mow my plot down to about 5" (no less in my opinion) and mow again (half of the plot at a time) when it reaches approx. 12-14". Follow farm hunters advice, he won't steer you wrong. Check out his blog, I've been reading it for the past 2 years and he's a solid guy (fellow NY no less, lol)

Good luck with your plot mossbergman!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Mowing once a week is too much -
that was my point -

Most guys I know mow 3x per year - but you could easily go 5-6 times without a problem.

If you cut too low in a dry part of the summer - the deer might not have much to forage on - but I don't think in neccessarilyhurts the clover - but it could if its dry enough. I mow down to about 6" because I like to leave ample forage in the summer months for the deer.

FH
i will cut with bushhog in about2-3 weeks
allright thanks a lot man sorry about all the overwhelming questions but i think i got this food plot thing down pat pretty good for now. thanks everyone for your help
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg -

Here's my plot - 2 weeks after mowing - on the previous page you can see how it looked with weeds and all before 1st cutting. Thought you might like to see how it came out.

FH
Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM

wow thats impressive.
i have noticed a large increase in the amount of clover *(density?) in my plot ever since i cut it short, would you reccommend that i cut it short in another week or not?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It probably won't hurt to cut it again - especially if weeds are more than 25% - but youwant to make sure adequate forage is available too, especially when growth slows down at the end of summer.

FH

Quick Reply: mowing clover?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.