Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots or Crops?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plots or Crops?

I agree but I would plant some turnips along the edges.
ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

ORIGINAL: jackflap

For me it is a no brainer.

It isalfalfa and wheat in our area which is similar to yours. Between the two you have something for them year round and you can plant these agricultural crops a heck of a lot cheaper than Biologic and all the other retail "over hyped"seed mixtures. JMO
I agree with him....unless there is wheat of alfalfa in the immediate area and more of it this spot wouldn't necessarily bring the deer to it, as a main source. Then I would probably use a mixture. JMO
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I would plant it in soybeans in the spring. Then when the beans ripen spread some turnip seed or biologic in the standing beans in late August early September.

That way you would have a hot food source for the whole year.
I agree, that would keep the deer interesed all year long!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're too late for clover, that needs to be planted in the fall...I plant clover and a mix of wheat and oats in the fall...
This time of year I'd go with soybeans, corn won't help the racks...

Our farms will have soybeans, corn and peanuts planted this spring, we have established clover plots already planted for them to eat in the early spring and after the crops are planted, then we plant some areas of wheat and oats to help them through the winter...
Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 AM

4 acres for bow season is pretty big unless in a corner section of woods that deer will feel comfortable in. I too have a 4.25 acre plot, more of a year round feeding plot then a hunting plot(however, do hunt over it during rifle season sense the plots corner to corner distance can exceed 250 yards out, just a bit out of range for my bow. LOL. I have found strip planting or having a mix forge works best. Deer are browsers, so I try to offer different foods, a "buffet" if you will. Plant attractive forages close to your stand(s) during your bow season and other summer or fall forage around it as a feeding orCOVER crop. Keep us posted on what you decide.