Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences? >

any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Spike

Default any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

This is my first year with a food plot, nothing big but i have started the process a while ago. I mowed my area, raked it, tilled it, tilled it some more, 100-150 lbs of lime, tilled it some more and i am going to till it one more time with some fertilizer and then plant. I didnt do a soil test(i know i should, but i dont want to invest too much $ into it really this year).
I want to experiment this year on what grows good for me in both my hunting areas and then figure out for next year if i really want to get serious and make them bigger and use more then hand tools/garden rototiller as somebig/proper equipment is available to me as i live on a farm).

MY ? is do any of you have any info on the throw and grow stuff from evolved habitat? or the secert spot stuff from whitetail institute(WI)? I alsohave a seed sample pack from Whitetail instituteand i am going to see what works best and go from there.

( i also have another spot that i mainly hunt, but there we just hauled in some black dirt, and will throw some seed down and see what happens. That one is 30 miles away from my house, soi cant care for it like i want to .)

thanks in advance
jake
Old 05-26-2008, 02:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default RE: any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

thanks for the reply.

I checked out a local feed store and see they had a wide variety of stuff. I will keep that in mind.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Spike

I've tried the Secretspot. It worked well for me. I planted about an area about 50'x75' and it grew quick and the deer loved it. Killed two deer with my newMathews bow (thanks Santa), one in it and the other about 30 yards away on a trail leading to it. I spent $9 on the seed. It's hard to drive to the coop for less than that and didn't have to worry about what to buy.

I was very impressed by the growth in the shaded areas. Not as much growth as the direct sunlight areas but pretty decent.

Needs fertilizer but I didn't add lime. I put down about a half bag of 20-20-20.

Buster
Old 05-26-2008, 01:13 PM

Droptine, this is my first post tothis forum.So I'm slowly catching you.

3047 posts. Get a life.Very few are smart enough to post that much correct info. Get a job. (Could be your first, McDonalds is hiring)If you've checked gas prices are rising. You may not have know that since you never leave your computer.

Give us a break.

POPPA
Old 05-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Spike

Poppa, take it easy on the beaver, he's busy.

OTIS
Old 05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

EASY FELLAS.

I HAVE DONE OK WITH ABOUT EVERYTHING I'VE PLANTED.TRIED THEM ALL.

I WILL COMMENT ON THE EVOLVED MIX I SAW AT BASS PRO....IT WAS A BAG OF A SPRING PROMOTED MIX. LOOKED AT THE INGREDIENTS AND IT WAS 80% RYEGRASS AND ABOUT 20%BRASSICAS.

I DON'T KNOW MUCH BUT WHEN PLANTED, RYEGRASS IS A FALL PLANTING AND AS FAR AS I KNOW BRASSICAS ARE ALSO.

THEY MAY BE REASONABLY PRICED BUT THE RYEGRASS WILL DIE EARLY SUMMER WITH THE HEAT AND THE BRASSICAS WILL QUICKLY BOLT AND THEY DON'T EAT IT IN THE SPRING/SUMMER ANYWAY.

WHO DO WE TRUST? I THINK BOTH THE WI AND EVOLVED PRODUCTS MENTIONED BY JAKEARE FALL PLANTINGS. POOR OLE JAKE IS WANTING TO PLANT SOMETHING NOW.

POP
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Spike

thanks for the replies. it dont bother me how many posts you have or not. i also am on a car forum and been on there for 8 years. so the more posts the better i think.

anyways, i went ahead and planted my throw and grow stuff along with a sample packet of whitetail institute clover and some of their alpha rack (clover,alfalpha, and chicory.). the plot is mainly the throw and grow stuff.

i put down some 10-10 -10 fertilizer, tilled it real deep (damn too many rocks) raked it clean/ smooth and planted and packed it down good. should be getting some rain here in a day .

i am sorta worried about the fall planting deal, being it is alot of ryegrass. But worse case i can till it over and re do it. also i plan on trying out some WI wintergreens come august , i will till up a small spot and plant and see how that does.

i should state that this food plot isnt a hunting plot. it is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long, so nothing big..i see how the deer wander in my garden (50 yards away) , so hopefully(probably not) they will hang out at my food plot more. I checked on the plot today and i allready have deer tracks in it, so i am not worried about them finding it

i do hunt on the property that i have this plot on, but my main hunting spot is 30 miles away with my father. I will plant my whitetail institute secert spot there come late august.

my ideal food plot idea on this property my house is on is to have a little corner of a hay field planted in clover(good acre) and this little 20 by 30 foot spot will be my winter food plot spot. but that takes time, this is my first year and boy i have learned a ton and enjoy it!

I will keep you updated on the progess.

Quick Reply: any throw&grow/ W.I secret spot experiences?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.