Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

apple trees

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default apple trees

I was thinking about planting some apple trees on our land this year and since we are on a budget we were thinking of buying the trees in the late summer and early fall whent they were all on clearance but I was wondering how well the trees would survive if they are planted so late in the year, also what is the going rate for apple trees near you.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Default RE: apple trees

I thought that you normally planted them in the fall actually.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done exactly what your thinking, and they should be fine. Long as you get them in well before ground freezes. If they come in a cardboard type container, just split the sides of the container in about 3 spots. In your hole mix up a bag soil mixture for fruit trees, plant, heel it good to remove any air pockets. Then be sure to place a good wood chip base around them. Also as a word of advice I like to use certain types of apple trees, that hold apples to later in fall, becasue thats when archery season starts. Do me no good to plant apple varieties that drop their fruit in August. Just something to think about. You'll also want to fence them in, the deer will eat them up good on you if you don't, and your just wasting $$. I've also had bucks rub the trunks, and kill a few on me. The fencing prevents it.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:46 AM

Apple trees are a great addition to a land management plan. I too planted apple trees (on a budget as well) and planted bare root style, about 2-3' tall. Bought tubing and stakes etc. The trees are doing great, however the first year or two, the growth was very slow, since the energy was being placed on a new root system. (I planted in spring time) This is there 3rd year and growing strong and lush and actually fertilized them this year as well which should help the progress.

Buckalley is so right about the type of apple trees you select. If for solely hunting purpose, go with type that do hold and ripen later in the season. I did both, tried to offer "candy" for a longer period of time if you will, plus some trees are for the wife and I too, deer need to learn and share! LOL.

I plant all types of trees and shrubs every year (sounds like I've done this for a long time, this is actually my 3 rd year doing it. LOL) Next year I think I'm just going to plant six or so 6-8' 15 gal apple trees (cost about $30 per tree), the budget gets smaller every year(Cost of gas, lime fert, EVERYTHING, lol). This way I don't need to wait as long for the apples to be produced and less time will be spent on the root system. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and your budget. This year I planted 200 3-4' shrubs($350), last year 200 3-4' ($1200.00)various hard/soft mast bare root trees and 750 various pine, cedar fir 10-14" trees, etc($125). Some for cover, some for hunting season, some just to feed all types of wildlife year round. (plus the wife likes the trees/shrubs that bloom pretty flowers in the spring! )

Fall planting will be fine. Also tree size (as well as budget) will dictate if you want to protect the trees from the wildlife in forms of fencing or tubes. Small 2-4 trees will be nibbled to death once deer find them, jimo and in my area anyway's. Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 AM

In southern climes it is OK to plant in fall but where freezing temps come in late October it may be best to wait until spring. We grow Apples in Washington State. almost all are planted in spring. If you are in an apple growing region you may want to check in with the local county extention agent. you don't want to cause a pest problem for the grower.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Just curious, but do you know where I could find a list of fruit trees that produce fruit late in the year?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM

connell red 10-17
delicious red 10-11
delicious golden 10-15
empire 10-1
fireside 10-17
granny smith 11-1
haralred 10-1
haralson 10-6
honeygold 10-10
johnathan 10-1
macoun 10-13
red regent 10-6

These are ripening dates for wisconsin, zone 4.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I deciced to buy them last month because they went on sale for $14, the trees are granny smith, about 8' tall, I placed them about 6' apart and fenced them in, they've been in about 1 month and are doing great, just not sure when they will start producing fruit.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Apples are actually from the rose family.

Malus There are 2500 species in the U.S. alone

Check with your local extension agent or a biologist which ones are best adapted to your locale.
The best bet is to plant them in the spring. You can plant in early fall as long as you are going to make sure they are watered. Pay attention to how "persistant" the fruit is (how long it hangs on the tree after it matures) Keep in mind that after the leaves fall off the plant is not yet dormant. It will continue to put down roots until it freezes and shuts down completely. This is often when people stop watering and actually kill many plants and trees.

Try and pick several varities that ripen at different times to have a good supply of fruit through the hunting season.

1 mature tree can provide 600-800 pounds of food in one season!

Don't fertilize until the second year.

Plant your trees 15-20 feet apart in groups of 3-5 with other varieties for good pollination. Plant them where they will get as much sun as possible, all day sun being the best.
Pay attention also to whether it is a self pollinator or cross polinator. Its a good idea to make sure there are bee populations available to pollinate them.

Stay away from these varieties unless you want to spend a lot of time spraying. They are temperamental and need a lot of attention.
Red and GoldenDelicious
McIntosh
Idared
Jonathan
Granny smith
Jonagold
Rome
Crispin

It will take a good 6-10 years of growth before you are realizing any good yields. Pay attention to training the tree the first couple years and prune in late winter for best habit and growth.

best bets for disease resistant trees are
limbertwig
freedom,
macoun,
jonamac
keepsake,
enterprise,
williams pride,
gold rush,
burgandy, to name a few. These are all persistant good keeping apples. Again check with your extension agent or local university. Michigan is a great apple state anyway.

I read somewhere that mulching is not good. I think there is an issue with the mulch harboring pests that you will be constantly fighting. Could be breathing issues with the root system also. Additionally mulch harbors mice and voles which are notoriuos for girdling fruit trees in the winter. Best bet is to keep the grass cut several times a year with a string trimmer. A product I use is called http://www.treeworld.com/It will keep rodents away and also has the benefit of keeping whitetails from eating the saplings and also rubbing them in the fall. I have used this stuff successfully for 8 years now. When Sprayed on the stem or trunk of the tree deer won't even rub it, let alone chew on any part of the tree.

Hope this helps.

T.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

just wondering, when do the trees start producing apples on them, the trees I bought are about 6-8' tall, I'm not sure how they are then but i dont see any apples on them yet this year

Quick Reply: apple trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.