Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question for the food plot guys

Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question for the food plot guys

Just wondering what everyone was finding works the best for a fall food plot. There are so many choices on the market. Last year we planted clover and it didn't seem to do much good.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for the food plot guys

I plant iron clay peas and oats and turnips.... They are cheap and the deer love them. Iron clay peas will last me till almost November, then the oats and turnips are coming up.. This works really well..
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure where you are (which makes a difference), but in the Midwest I really like to put a variety down for the deer. I am a big fan of standing corn and then clover, chicory, and turnips. I like to put the corn in the middle of the plot and then plant the rest around it. I find that the deer not only use the corn in the last season as a food source, but also bed in it. The clover and chicory will give the deer a food source in the early part of the season and they just plain tear the turnips up late (after 1st frost). Good luck and remember to get soil samples and fertilize and lime as needed.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry, I'm in Oklahoma. Corn was one of our thoughts with maybe a section of Full Draw as well.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a big fan of market seed. I know a lot of people on here use Biologic or Techomate, but I find it much better and cheaper to figure what I want to put into the ground and then go to the local FS and have it mixed up. You can do it for about half the price and get exactly what you want.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Spike

Where you are at makes a big difference. Not all clover is palitable for the deer in the fall, some are good early and some late. Chicory is a good plant to mix with clover and the chicory is good later in the year.

How big is you plot?
Did you take a soil sample and use the right fertilizer?

These are the most important things to do before you start your plot. You need to plant a variety and find what they like in woods. Also remember food plots aren't a miracle deer draw, and the second year you will see the biggest difference. Check out our plots and what we have in them and the progress on our website, maybe it will help. www.myarcheryhunt.com.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

We didn't plant the food plots last year. The land owner and one of his friends did.But we are going to do it ourselves this year.Here is what I can tell you. The biggest plot is about 2 acres.They planted chicory in it last year but I also think they mixed some other seed in with it. So that may have screwed it up.This is the one that didn't come up as well.
The turkey's loved it though.

We have another small plot 20 yards x 60 yards that he did lime and it came up much better. Lot's of deer hit it but mostly at night.So I'm sure the bigger plot needs some lime.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to becareful with the chicory. The deer love that stuff so much and hit it so hard, the plot may not be able to get fully up. Chicory cannot take a huge amount of grazing pressure. That is why I always mix it with other seed. Clover, Rye Grass are a good bet. The clover and rye come up a little quicker than the chicory, so the deer can graze on that and the chicory has a chance. Still take a soil sample, every year. If you don't, you might just be burying dollar bills.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I am not a big fan of market seed. I know a lot of people on here use Biologic or Techomate, but I find it much better and cheaper to figure what I want to put into the ground and then go to the local FS and have it mixed up. You can do it for about half the price and get exactly what you want.
This is super super information, in my opinion.

I agree with everything kickin_buck said.

The right amout of lime does nothing but benefit your plots.

Mix it up, see what they like best. Good luck to you!

Quick Reply: Question for the food plot guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.