Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

deer & cows

Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM

Default deer & cows

where i was planning on putting my food plot at is not going to work now because we are putting up some cows up in the field where i was gonna plant it. now im gonna plant a plot in the field over from it. do you think putting the cows in the one field will change where the deer go?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: deer & cows

No, once the deer get use to them they will go through behind the cows. I worked for an outfitter last season and there best ground is an active cow pasture.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

My brother has had deer go in thru the fence to a pen of feeder calves and eat out of the trough with them.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:55 PM

all right so you dont think the cows will affect the deer at all
i will not plant a plot up there though because it would be pointless
are there any plants i could plant that cows dont like?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

No, the only way to keep them out is put up fencing. You could try a single strand but if they ever crossed it you will not keep them out
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM

yeah probably my best bet is to not plant one
Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM

On several occasions I have had cows moving into the feild that have spooked some deer i had been overlooking in my stand,i would wrether mow a pasture for wildlife to be in,than have cows eat it down for low undergrowth.

I have had some run-ins with the least # of fence strands i could go with and cows getting into food plots.
I found that 3 very tight strands work well.Last summer a couple of cows got into my sorgum,peas,and beans and destroyed a really awesome plot because i just put up two strands.and i was left kicking myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

dude there is a ton of cows in the front feild of my house and deer croos it like daily so i would say that you are fine

Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mossberghunter93

dude there is a ton of cows in the front feild of my house and deer croos it like daily so i would say that you are fine
yeah my dad thinks were gonna get some but we may or may not but im not gonna risk planting a plot up there and have it ruined............im just gonna plant one in the next field over
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Im not saying deer wont come around,they get used to the cows,and most already are because cows are so popular in these parts.
but deer hear things often long before they see things.and if i had the choice i wouldnt want cows eating up my persimmons while i just put a tree stand up there and i get there and theres cows all over it.deer wont just join the cows in feeding lol

most of the land i hunt has cows,and i get deer every year,but never in the same feild with cows.I just muzzeload and bow hunt and it just isnt no fun with cows around.

Quick Reply: deer & cows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.