Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Who could I contact...

Old 01-19-2002, 10:39 PM

Default Who could I contact...

...to find out what would help with the antler growth on our land? The DNR, or someone else? We have 160 acres, and I want to get some bigger racks running around. Where we hunt, there are no big bucks, and I would love to change that. My dad and I are going up each year and putting salt and mineral blocks out, and that seems to be helping. I just want to know who to contact to get some more help.
~Cody
Old 01-20-2002, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who could I contact...

A good start to getting big bucks is to not shoot them when they are young. Also put in some food plots to increase nutrition. Talk with your neighbors, try to get them to let the young bucks walk also.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:06 AM

Rap check with other hunters in your area too. Even some farmers will tell what attracts deer the best too. I got a hold of the local seed mill and they were very helpful. Here essex rape and rye seem to be the best for me in northeast Michigan. Before you plant anything get a soil test and get your soil up to speed......good luck and happy hunting..marty
Old 01-20-2002, 08:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

All good advise... Let the smaller/younger bucks walk. When planting, do a soil sample first then determine what type of plant will do best... Contact the local ag agent....
Old 01-20-2002, 10:27 AM

I figured letting young bucks walk was the first thing, and that's what I am trying to do. I let a spike walk last fall, and boy did people in my camp laugh at me. But I know I did the right thing to let him go. Adjacent to our land is state/county land, so there is really no way talk to those landowners. Then there is a farmer who doesn't hunt, but has a huge lot of land up there, so that's gotta be a plus. This land is 2 and half hours away, so I really can't be up there much to tend to whatever I would plant. So I would need something very self-sufficient. And I would really love to plant it back in the woods, so the poachers don't have easy picking in the open. So what I am looking for would be something that is self-sufficent, lasts a long time, attracts deer and gets nutrients in them, and can thrive in the woods. Any suggestions? This spring I'll look into talking to farmers and looking at the local mill. See what they have to say.
~Cody
Old 01-20-2002, 06:40 PM

Code man we planted whitedutch clover and pereniall rye grass which is a good combo. It might take a year to established but can grow in a shady area. I have it planted on all my logging roads and it's three years old and still have some growth left...marty