Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

what works better then soybeans?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 PM

Default what works better then soybeans?

with the price of corn going up, ive been thinking about planting some kind of food plot. my uncle has some fields that they dont use anymroe and ive thought about growing soybeans. i talked to someone about this and they told me if i planted it in the summer the deer would eat it up before the season came in. is there anything else i can plant this spring/summer that would last till deer season? im new to all this but my dad has all the equipment to get it done. i dont plan on doing the whole field, just a small section of it. any ideas? also i live in central nc if that makes a diffrence
Old 03-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what works better then soybeans?

In some areas cow peas and clay peas work well. I plant them with milo. The peas climb the milo stalks. Here is one of our plots last summer: This plot hascow peas.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Iron Clay Peas and Lablab. With the price increase of fertilizer (close to $500/ton), seed prices, diesel, etc it might be cheaper to put out a trough and feed them some over the summer. The chance of losing your crop to drought is another problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

check out the eagle brand of forage soybeans,also qdma.com has good info
Old 03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, check out Eagle Seed. The forage beans are designed to handle the graze pressure. When you can plant Lab Lab, it is the best as come by nutrition.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:01 PM
tf
Spike

I plant iron/clay peas here in East Texas. We basically have the same weather conditions and climate. The peas are very drought tolerant, and rebound from grazing very well. The deer usually won't start eating them until mid summer if you plant in spring. However, they will last up until fall,. I had deer in my plot in Nov. They are appx $35 per 50 lbs., and that will cover abot 3/4 to 1 acre. The deer absolutely love them. Fertilizer and lime will certainly help but it is not mandatory, these plants are very durable and tolerant to a hot climate. Give em a try.