Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

wet ground planting

Old 03-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default wet ground planting

I have found some good spots for food plots,but the ground is damp to slightly mushy year round.What everybody planted in these areas that will do well?? Thanks for the help
Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wet ground planting

Where are you located?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Clovers are more tollerant of exessive moisture with some varieties doing better than others.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Spike

I am in south arkansas
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Fork Horn

Alsike, Ladino and Dutch Whiteclovers are allgood choices...American jointvetch, rape, turnips, annual rye.

Anywhere near DeQueen? I've done a lot of work down in that area...lots of deer.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

i would like to add to this question. if it floods for a week or 2and then the water subsides, would a clover regrow that year or even the next? also would perenials or annuals do better in this situation.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Fork Horn

Possibly. It depends on the timing of the flood and the duration. If it floods when the plants are more actively photosynthesizing then they are more susceptible/sensitive to the flooding. I had a good ladino plot going last year, then it flooded for 2 weeks and wiped it out. I had just gotten it started that springthough, so it wasn't fully established. Not much you can do when you haveextreme inundation issuesin July...most everything herbaceous was killed back. I wound up planting cool season annuals in the clover's place...winter wheat,Austrian winter peas, oats and a little annual rye...looks like what I'm going to stick to for a while on the river property plots.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

You might look into jap millett. THe deer will eat it, but the ducks will devour it. It does very well in moist soil, and it has a very short growing season.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

thanks usfwc, i am kind of worried this year. i am planting right next to a big river (10 feet away). there are loads of deer there but it is at a high risk of getting flooded out. i will just plant the clover and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

No problem. Which river are you on?

Quick Reply: wet ground planting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.