HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Food plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/233295-food-plots.html)

ShatoDavis 02-19-2008 07:47 AM

Food plots

I have about 650 acres on our farm, and approximately 1000 acres surrounding with permission to hunt. We run cattle. I've laid out about 20 acres of food plots in 2 acre plots. I plan to plant half this spring and have this fall. what should I plant in the spring, and what in the fall.

Spring: I'm considering a mix with soybeans, milo, millet, grain sorguhm, & austrian peas.

Fall: I'm looking at a mix of wheat, rape, rye, & turnips.

What do you think?

Slapout_hunter1202 02-19-2008 07:55 AM

RE: Food plots

sounds good to me. The only thing I plant in the spring is chufas after turkey season. The fall mix sounds great though.

Snoogsdad 02-19-2008 11:32 AM

If farmers around you are not already planting clover and/or alfalfa I would add some clover to your mix. I think it would help fill the gaps, they sure do like it and it has good nutritional value.

hossdaniels 02-19-2008 01:18 PM

I would throw 4-6 acres of corn in the mix for spring, good cover and hunting season food.Also a couple acres of clover for the fall.

kickin_buck 02-19-2008 01:40 PM

I like to plant corn in the middle of my fall plots. I plant the corn in the spring and then come back in August and plant my fall seed around it. What part of the country are you in?

ShatoDavis 02-19-2008 02:07 PM

I'm in south central missouri. Hills & Hollers country. Not really suitable to corn.

I planted these same plots last year. Its a mixed bag. All the seeds planted together. I was contemplating planting individual plots. Ie. one plot of just soybeans. another plot with Milo, etc. I don't know if it will matter. Do you think that its best to plant the blend or each one individually?

the fall plot works excellent.

hossdaniels 02-19-2008 02:45 PM

I have mixed corn and soybeans, but yields were reduced by doing so(esp. beans). I dont think the deer mind walking a few hundred yards to a different field if they are hungry for something, who knows- that might just be when you get your shot at them! I use to try to put the food right next to the cover, but I learned the hard way that moving deer is a good thing! With the amount of land you own/hunt, I would make them walk as much as possible.

Turkey Fife 02-19-2008 10:12 PM

I have not got into the Food Plot Thing.I just don't have the Land or Equipment.

I do want to share this. I have Feed almost a Ton of Whole Corn. One of the fifty pound bags was a Apple Flavor, They didn't like it! This week I thought I would give them another Treat I bought a Bag of Alafa, Smelled Good! Those Deer wouldn't touch it. But, the Whole Corn the Deer and Turkey Love it.

Can you think of anything out of a bag they like MORE?

Please let me know and I will give them a Treat!;)

I am getting Attatched to these Deer and Turkeys, I don't know if I can Kill one or not?

The BOSS Gobbler don't have much of a Beard A Few Strands and a 2" nub. But he is the BOSS! Also is the Heavyiest!

TF

Turkey Fife 02-19-2008 10:32 PM

My Turks

Check out my Turks!

Muliefever 02-20-2008 06:33 AM

RE: My Turks

Spring= Alfalfa!