Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral salt lick

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mineral salt lick

Think I'll put my mineral salt out in march, when do yawl put yours out [:-]

Martin
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mineral salt lick

Why not just keep it out year round?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I agree. If it works keep it out year round.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Another "I agree" here. Just put it out now while you're thinking about it. If the question had been "when do deer utilize minerals most?" the answer would be spring time.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

In Illinois it"s aganst the law to put out salt licks or bait, it really sucks becouse we have the problem of over pops here. alot of (bunny huggers ) feed the deer in the summer, but it"s to cold to do it in the winter. Ya know when they really need it.they feed them in summer so a 2 or 3 year old doe has twins or triplets, than in the cold weather one or two die. Some people are just plain stupid.... Not any of you guys, but you know what I mean.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Oh by the way, I said it was aganst the law. I did"nt say we don"t do it. Whats a bushel basket or two of apples, between hunters.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: yodeldog3

In Illinois it"s aganst the law to put out salt licks or bait, it really sucks becouse we have the problem of over pops here. alot of (bunny huggers ) feed the deer in the summer, but it"s to cold to do it in the winter. Ya know when they really need it.they feed them in summer so a 2 or 3 year old doe has twins or triplets, than in the cold weather one or two die. Some people are just plain stupid.... Not any of you guys, but you know what I mean.
If you have too many deer why would you want to make the problem worse by winter feeding them? Get out there and harvest some does (legally). And please, don't brag about breaking the law with baiting when it's illegal where you are at.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

We do get out there and harvest them. Have you ever heard of C.W.D. It"s a big problem in Illinois, 10 or15 countys in the state are affected. I don"t make the problem worse by winter feeding, I try shooting as many big does as I can. I did more than my part in 07, and not bragging. Just trying to put more deer in hunters against hunger. Do you know what couses C.W.D.?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM

cwd is spread by the transaction of saliva between deer, and is highly accelerated by feeding!!!! hint: maybe you shouldn't have community feeders where cwd is prevalent.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: yodeldog3

We do get out there and harvest them. Have you ever heard of C.W.D. It"s a big problem in Illinois, 10 or15 countys in the state are affected. I don"t make the problem worse by winter feeding, I try shooting as many big does as I can. I did more than my part in 07, and not bragging. Just trying to put more deer in hunters against hunger. Do you know what couses C.W.D.?
I apologize.[]I don't know what I thought I saw in your message to make me think you were promoting violating hunting rules. Again, I'm sorry.

Quick Reply: Mineral salt lick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.