Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Foodplotting Trends?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Foodplotting Trends?

What are the trends of foodplotting going to be in five years? Any ideas? I'm doing a research project for college.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Foodplotting Trends?

I think you'd get better input (although it may be somewhat biased) from the seed company representatives. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I expect to see most companies to get in to more educational services, because the puplic is looking for knowledge. The thing I see in my line of bussiness is the clients are starting to conscider enhancing the shelter side of the deer habitat. Meaning planting more native warm season grasses. Not for sure what seeds the companies are testing and doubt you will get much out of them, as they all keep that pretty tight lipped. If anyone will give you some idea it might be Kent Krammer of Pennington Seed.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there will be a couple food plot bleands for Mule Deer & Blacktails...and elk!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. I think you'll continue to see MIXES - as seed companies are smart enough to know that with a mix, there is a better chance that one or more of its elements might do very well for the consumer, and hopefully they'll come back as a result. All kinds of mixes.

2. Look for MORE Brassicas - maybe even better tasting ones - (broccoli typescomes to mind as a NEW option)

In the last 2 years - brassica options have increased a lot. Figure to see more of these - maybe with better annual mixes of clovers and or oats. Brassicas have a unique quality of growing very well (consumer pats himself on the back)- and deer do not eat them much at all until winter (sometimes not at all) - BUT - consumers have a GREAT LOOKING plot - and often times deer will actually eat them once it gets cold (or if the other food sources available are not as good).They are alsovery cheap to plant compared to clovers or beans.
For the seed company - its about as good as it gets.

3. Clovers will continue to do well - you cannot go wrong with a good clover plot!

I can think of a few others - but in 5 years - this what I see.

FH

Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tabor1 What are the trends of foodplotting going to be in five years? Any ideas? I'm doing a research project for college.
[ol][*]RR sugarbeets is about the only recent new seed inovation. All the magic blends, brands, and bags are just marketing hype.[*]Switching more towards notill type plots. Spray and broadcast fine small seed such as brassicas, turnips, clovers, alfalfa, trefoils.As foodplotters become more educated on herbicides and spraying techniques, no-till when done right becomes a real time and cost saver.[*]Increased soil analysis, soil samples sent into state ag. labs.to get accurate lime recommendations, along with precise phosphorus and potassium(potash) recommendations. As fertilizer costs have reciently sky-rocketed, knowing what you need and don't need to apply can be a huge cost/time saver.[*]Having soil analyzed for micro-nutrients. Sulfer, calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, manganese, selenium, ect. Many foodplotters have been at it for several years, and built up soil nutrients to healthy levels.Now many are ready to take it to the next level.[/ol]
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hope they will develope new products that will do well in heavy shaded areas, heavy clay areas and heavy sandy areas as well as areas that have a low rainfall amount per year.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I hope they will develope new products that will do well in heavy shaded areas, heavy clay areas and heavy sandy areas as well as areas that have a low rainfall amount per year."

Have tried a lot of different stuff in shady areas and nothing worked. For heavy clay, heavy sand and low rain areas try milo, cowpeas and clay peas.

IMO:A lot of the brandsare over blown.I do not like to use Round Up or anything like Round Up. If one disks up a plot well and plants it thick before the spring vegetation gets a hold there will not be a problem with weeds and grass. Our fall plots are not planted until the Johnson grass turns blue or Big Blue Stem grass turns brown.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: falcon

I do not like to use Round Up or anything like Round Up.
What's the problem with Round Up? And when you say 'anything like Round Up' are you only referring to generic glyphosphate or other kinds of weed killers too?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: falcon

I do not like to use Round Up or anything like Round Up. [/blockquote]

I wonder as well. I thnk Glyphosate is the best thing that ever happened to us "part time" farmers.
It absolutely changed our plot strategies for the better.

FH

Quick Reply: Foodplotting Trends?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.