Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Biomaxx????/corn???

Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Default Biomaxx????/corn???

Hey guys, Im looking into planting our bottom field food plot in corn or the new Biomaxx. Its heavy soil, and about half of it stays pretty damp a lot of the year. Im looking at about 2 1/2 to 3 acres. Im getting ready to do my soil sample, and am wondering what my ph needs to be for corn or Biomaxx? I have a sprayer, 3 point tiller, and a broadcast seeder, but no drill, or corn planter. Will either grow well being broadcast? Is it worth the extra to get the biologic corn/bean mix? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:05 AM

Default RE: Biomaxx????/corn???

I mentioned the Bio Logic to a friend of mine that deals with Ag. stuff everyday and he said that I could get 3 acres of corn and an acre of Round up Ready seed from a deal for about $100. That sure beats Bio logic by a bunch. I am going to hit him up in about a month. Call your local ag center, every county/parish should have one and they can tell you the avg ph level for your area. In my area I will need to do 2 1/2 tons of lyme to the acre to get the ph right. Broad casting should be fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I'm starting to sound likea broken record, but DO A SOIL SAMPLE. I like the one offered by biologic because iof you tell them that you want to plant Biomaxx, they will tell you mthe lime and fertilizer requirements for a particular plot. Even if you go with co-op seed, they lime/fert requirements will be pretty darn close. This is much more efficient and cost effective than to plant and pray. I have done that for several years in the past, only to be disappointed and frustrated tocheck on my plot later in the summer to find a bumper crop of weeds and no food plot plants. Its worth the effort to have the soil sample and a NECESSARY STEP.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 PM

I guess I didnt make myself clear,, Im not trying to plant and pray.... I have limed and fertilized in the past, and am getting ready to do my spring soil test,,, I wanted to know if someone could tell me what ph the Biomaxx needed to grow well,,, is it 6.5-7 like other products, or does it do better in ph closer to 6?????? I use a local co-op for my samples, and they usually do pretty well on getting my soil ph and fertilizer where I need it. I guess I should just call Biologic, but thought someone could give me some heads up advice, maybe if someone had used it before. Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Oh, and I got on their website, and the price for Biomaxx was $69 per bag, one acre bags. Is that about right, or is there somewhere to get it cheaper. I really dont like the idea of using a mix from the local co-op for my seed, mostly because every time Ive done that, I didnt get good seed germination at all, and ended up with more weeds than plot. Our MFA sure isnt a very food plot friendly store,, its a pain to get any specific seed there thats even slightly out of the ordinary.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM

According to my latest Bio Logic Farming for Wildlife magazine the Ph for Bio Logic Bio Maxx should be 5.6-7.0
Old 03-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

The corn typically does better in the lower pH ranges and the soybeans do better closer to neutral, that's why the range is so wide on that...a target pH of about 6.2 should do well for both plants.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Try mixing your own biomax. Change out the feild beans for Eagle Seeds RR forage beans.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:21 AM

Thanks guys, I think Im going to try my own mix, but its not looking like it will be this year, I have to wait for warmer and dryer weather to get my lime down, and then it has to have time to work, so I figure I will plant it next year. Ill have to try something else this spring.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Why can't you throw your lyme out now? I thought that is how the farmers up north did their fertilizer and such, then wait until spring to plant. You may not get as big of a yeild this year by doing it but, at least you would still have a good plot. Anything is better than nothing.

Quick Reply: Biomaxx????/corn???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.