Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn and an ATV.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Corn and an ATV.

Can I plant corn with just an ATV and ATV disc?

I know I can really tear it up when it's moist but, when it comes to corn, do I need to bury the seeds. Should I cultipack (sp) them in, disc them in or should I really have a corn planter? (I don't have access to one).
Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corn and an ATV.

Rob, I have always heard that discing seed in the ground buries them too deep and most will not make it thru. Just saw Dr. Grant Woods speaking on this very subject on a Drury DVD.I would just spread it and then roll or cultipac it in and hope for a rain. That was his advice.

But you will get the best stand by using a planter no doubt. But if that is not an option, I would roll it in.

Also corn likes A LOT of nitrogen, or you will get small stunted stalks and not many ears.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, corn needs to be planted about an inch or 2 in deep according to the weather at the time , is the ground cold, etc.you could work up the ground with the ATV disc and then plant the corn with a small planet Jr that you push along by hand that many people use for planting their gardens, you just need to be sure that you get corn plates, along with the veggie planting plates. The planter should give you enough compaction when you plant to satisfy that need. When you plant be sure and use Roundup ready corn so you can spray it for weed control simce you wont be able to cultivate it...Last year the farmers I help out planted over 4,000 acres of corn and we have 2- 16 row planters, but the process is still the same no matter how much you plant....get the lime and nutrients right first...
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob - When planting with an ATV (broadcasting) - You just need to plant an extra 30-40% of seed than you would with a planter - thats because - a good 1/3 of the seed will not get deep enough.Its OK - Corn is cheap enough, and you don't have an alternative - I like 2" deep like Ron M Says.

I very often go back over our corn plots and cultipack - because the soil we plant in sometimes never really dries out at planting time - and the seed doesn't always get covered like it should.

Make sure you use RR corn - and add plenty of Nitrogen - Ph isn't as big as a factor as it is with legumes.

FH

Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Fork Horn

Rob, I had decent luck last year in broadcasting corn. My advice is opposite of Farm Hunters, I caution you not to get it to thick. I got it to thick in places(over half) and the stalks didnt get very thick(thick in diameter)so when it came early fall the corn fell and blew over from the wieght of the ears once the stalks started dring out.

I just bought a reworked 2 row corn planter so next year I hope not to have that problem!!

Rob if I were you and you are talking 2 acres or less I would buy ever how much mossy oak bio max (rr corn and rr bean mix) and broadcast that. You will pay more but they seem to have the right mixture down where you wont get to heavy on the corn. Then the first of september or around there go in and broadcast either winter rye or buckforage oats or a mixture of both. I think you would be very very happy with the results!!

Then in 09 if you didnt think you had enough corn you could add some to the bio max mixture.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm telling you guys, ya'll are great. I truly appreciate the advice. I'm very new to all of the plantings. Like you've seen, my clovers were awesome and I'm going to replant them, redo. My brassicas didn't do much, the chickory took over, I may have been too heavy on that seed. The turnips, rape and other broadleafs failed. The chickory didn't really mature though.

I'm going to heed all your advice and add the corn, rye, and turnips again. I really appreciate it. Keep it coming.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM

How many acres are you going to plant? Everyone that I have talked to said that if you aren't going to plant 3 or more acres then you need to plant something else. Anything less than 3 acres other animals, crows, coons, squirrells, etc will literaly knock it completely down. Just a thought
Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had problems with crows in the past,then I started shooting one and leaving it lay in the Field until it rotted way,the corn will be tall enough by then thatrest of themwon't pull it up.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think the acrage will be an issue as it will be near other large corn fields but I want to allow this one to remain past harvest.

It will be next to other plots as well like clovers and brassicas etc...Here's some pics of the area. This past season the usual corn fields were beans.

Clovers:

From stand looking out. I want to continue the plot beyond that dirt area. That dirt area was mostly chickory.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

What's the best way to add nitrates for the corn?

Quick Reply: Corn and an ATV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.