Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

transplanting pine trees

Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default transplanting pine trees

I was thinking of how to make our deer hunting land better for the herd and attract more deer and i realized that our land is too open right now. I had the idea of transplanting small cedar trees from another plot of land we own nearby that we don't hunt much onto the land we want to hunt. Has anyone ever tried this and would this work?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: transplanting pine trees

It can be done easily if you do in in the spring or fall. The smaller the tree the better and try to maintain a rootball with soil when you move the trees. If theweather is dryer you may need to water.

Dan O.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Why transplant when you can buy pine trees for next to nothing.

Go to a tree nursery and ask for a price for the type of tree you desire.

All it takes in the spring is a boot to kick a hole in the ground and someone to shove them in the hole.

20 years from now you will have your own forest.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I transplant trees all the time. Spruce are fairly easy to move beacause they do not have a tap root. Some pines like Scotch Pine have a deeper tap root, so you have to move them when they are only a couple years old.

These Norway Spruce were about 5-8 years old - and are about as big as you really want to move. The Root balls on these weighed about 50-100 lbs each. - But, they took real well -were planted in 2001 and are now 15-20 ft tall. I'd say it was worth the effort - I wished I'd planted them further apart - they touch now.

Seedlings I planted at the same time are now about 4-6 ft tall.

FH

Old 01-05-2008, 08:06 AM

You can contact any pine tree nursery and buy them y the thousands..... Doesn't sound like you need that many, but here in NC,pines are planted between Dec and March. That gives their roots time to take before it gets hot and dry. I've not had very good luck with cedar trees taller than 1 foot.

YOu can get the names of nearby seedling growers from your local State Forest Service. They oversee lots of replantings after clearcuts. There are always seedlings left that they throw away.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Transplanting is a lot of work and has a lot of mortality if it is done improperly...considering that seedlings usually cost less than $.25 each makes it even less appealing to me...well-worth buying a bunch of seedlings and choosing the best out of the bunch to plant rather than transplanting a few and not having as much success.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you transplant cedars or white pines, prepare to have a deer and rabbit-proof fence around them. They'll be decimated before they have a chance to grow.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

If you go the seedling route, you can preplant them in some pots from a landscape company/nursery. A lot of times, they have stacks of them laying around and might give you some smaller ones. Even if you had to buy them, they should be too much. Plant the tree in them and water them for a year. Your planting success should go up.

If your still convinced your going to transplant them from an existing site, NOW is the time to do so. Dont wait until spring warm up. By then, the sap will be flowing and not that it will be too late, but your success rate will deminish. Stay small. Trees no more than 1' - 2' tall.

For moreinfo on new tree planting, visit: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx
Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought like 200 white pines for $15.00 from the extension office and when you plant them b sure not to bunch up the roots or have the rootspointing up or the tree will die
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

what is the extenion office, b/c that price sounds good, how tall were the trees when you bought them and how many survived and when did you plant

Quick Reply: transplanting pine trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.