HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Protein Feeder - trying to decide... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/221196-protein-feeder-trying-decide.html)

npaden 12-05-2007 08:43 PM

Protein Feeder - trying to decide...

Well, I'm debating on whether or not to put a protein feeder up on my property or not and if so, I'm trying to decide which one to setup.

I put in 16 acres for a winter food plot this fall and now that we have actually gotten some moisture hopefully it is growing finally. I've been running a spin feeder with corn in it for a little over 6 months now and it works to get some pictures of the animals using the property, but I'm wondering about adding a protein feeder to help the bucks grow their antlers this spring. I figure adding one now would help the does develop healthier fawns come springtime also. From my trail camera pictures I know at least 1 buck seemed to have brittle antlers because he had over 1/2 of his knocked off before the rut really even got started this year.

From talking with my neighbors, they sound like they are shooting does and passing on younger bucks, but none of them are doing year round feeding or food plots. I've debated on just adding some soybeans to my spin feeder, but that would probably end up feeding more pigs and raccoons than deer. I started a deferrment on grazing my property as well. In some ways I feel like I might be getting ahead of myself starting a feeding program before I even see the effect of my food plots, however with the unpredictable nature of rainfall in the area I am thinking that having a feeder would help offset that.

If I do setup a protein feeder I plan on doing it pretty small scale with a feeder that will handle 200-300lbs or so at a time and refilling it every couple months. I've kind of narrowed it down to 2 different feeders, a Boss Buck 350lb feeder that costs $225 and a Texas Hunter 300lb feeder that costs $229.

Here is the Boss Buck Feeder:

Here is the Texas Hunter Feeder:

If anyone has any experience with either of these feeders I would appreciate any input and I would also appreciate any input on whether to set one up or not. Not trying to stir any controversy up, just thinking of adding some additional supplementation for the deer.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan

Parrot Head 12-07-2007 07:45 AM

RE: Protein Feeder - trying to decide...

I have been looking at feeders also. I have NO experience. But I really like the gravity feeder from Moutlrie. I dont have to worry about batteries. Feed wont be on the ground.

timbercruiser 12-07-2007 07:59 AM

You definitely have to keep the feed dry, and feed on the ground makes a moldy mess. I would take some of those plastic 55 gallon drums, screw the lid on with several screws,cut them length ways making two troughs, put 4 post on the ground with a couple of cross pieces for the trough to sit on, put some aluminum roofing on top wide enough to keep it dry and put the loose feed in it. Lots cheaper than those you posted and the deer feed in them well. You can put 125 or so pounds of feed in one depending on the type of feed. I had trouble with those plastic drum feeders sweating inside them and the feed will then mold.

falcon 12-07-2007 08:03 AM

i modified one of my spin feeders to feed deer and elk pellets. Had to cut off the funnel in order to enlarge the hole. Itseems to beworking OK now.

1sagittarius 12-08-2007 01:37 PM

Skip the coon feeder. You already do alot of foodplots

Spend the money and time improving the carrying capacity of native habitat. Plant native shrubs, trees, and protect them with tree tubes or fencing. Remove non-native plants, trees, bushes from the property. Take 100 feet of horse fencing and fence off a 25'x25' area for three years .... watch what grows back, recovers from deer browsing.[/align]