Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Native grass?

Old 01-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Spike

Default Native grass?

Is Native grass worth the very high cost, time and effort it takes to establish it. Anyone here had success with some? Recommend any one type over the other?
Old 01-25-2003, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Native grass?

Deer aren't really grass eaters. Native grasses are good from an environmental point of view if you're rehabilitating an alvar or a grassland. They're good for other types of wildlife but you'll get more bang for your buck with legumes and other crops.

Da O.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:36 PM
Spike

i planted two acres of native grass in the spring of 2000. it came up real good. i used a mix called hoosier prairie mix. it consists of big bluestem, little bluestem, indiangrass, sideoats gamma and switchgrass. this is the same mix recommended by Pheasants Forever and Quals Unlimited. i had to till the soil up good and mix the grass with a filler before spreading. the total seeds weighed only about six pounds. they recommend missing with something like oil dry or cat litter. did not have to fertilize before planting, as it grows good in poor soil. the first fall, i had grass about 6 to 7 inches high. now some of the grasses are over six foot tall. the deer seem to travel thru it, but i don't think they eat any of the grasses. excellent for birds of all kinds, and cover for pheasants and qual. they claim that it has to be burned over evey four years or so, to keep the grass growing good. some of the roots go down about 12 to 15 feet. a neighbor of mine has some, and he mows his down every couple years in early spring. it does real good. he is afraid to burn. i don't like the idea of burning either, will have to make up my mind in a year or two, if i want to burn or not. not far from me there is an area called the Prairie Chicken State Refuge. it is about 1000 acres in size, and full of native grasses. they do not burn it at all, and it does real good. the Kankakee Sands Nature Presurve boarders this area, and they are restoring it all to native grasses, one section at a time. the operators there tell me it is best if the grass is burned but probably does not have to be.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:53 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasnt planning on using it for a food source, but wanted a fast bedding area for the deer on my place. See much sign of deer bedding in the stuff? Where did you get the hoosier mix and what did it cost if you dont mind me asking? You planted 6 pounds to 2 acres? This seems way low to the recommended pounds/acre that ive been seeing.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:00 AM
Spike

I purchased the Hoosier Prairie Grass Mix from a company called Agventure D. & M. Inc. in Kentland, Indiana. The address is P.O. Box 102, Kentland In. 47951-0102. The phone is toll free 1-800-933-0259. It was only about 6 pounds total. The cost was $154.00. I hear that if you get ahold of Pheasants Forever or Quails Unlimited
they sometimes will give you the mix for free. I know about two years back, if you comitted to planting at least five acres, they would furnish the seed. I got a phone number for a Bob Lyons of Pheasants Forever. It is (219) 275-4775. He is from my area of Indiana. Perhaps he can help you contact someone in your area. I also have the address, phone, & "e" mail address for a David Howell of Quail Unlimited. He is at 10364 S. 950 E., Stendall, Indiana 47585. His phone is (812) 536-2272. His "e" mail is [email protected]
I hope this helps you out. Good luck. I do see signs of deer bedding down in it. I know the Hoosier Prairie Chicken Preserve, has several huge bucks on it. They can be spotted from the road. This is probably because it is not hunted, but it seems they like the area.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Spike

Excellant info. thanks for taking the time to help me out guys! Brian sounds like you know your stuff! How many acres do you think it would take to sustain a few pheasant? Is 5 acres of native grass enough to accomplish anything with the birds? Would it be more beneficial to plant in strips say 30-50 yards wide by several hundred feet long or to plant in blocks of say 5 acres?

My main focus is deer, but I would love to get a decent population of birds as well.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to but in - with little to offer - but Would Bluestem grow in the northeast (Cental NY) and does it require Neutral Ph - or will it grow in acidic soil (5.0 Ph) - We have some areas that could benefit from a tall, strong, grass, as well.

Pilot - it sounds like you've got some very good input - and I wish you luck.

Quick Reply: Native grass?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.