Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 2200 Acres of land Old Growth Forest >

2200 Acres of land Old Growth Forest

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2200 Acres of land Old Growth Forest

Old 11-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2200 Acres of land Old Growth Forest

Where in semo are you??
Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

If wildlife is the #1 quest for you on this tract of land then clearcutting some blocks will definitely produce quality forage and bedding areas. Cutting 60 or so acre blocks with 3to 5 acre food plots on the edges would be a good idea, planting two or three different types of seeds (lablab, iron clay peas and soybeans in strips for summer and Buck Forage Oats, brassicas and a grass blend in the fall) and seeing how heavilythe deerfeedin them. Planting some cedar thickets for winter shelter might be a good idea. The contiguous neighbors will definitely have an influence on the results of your plans and meeting with them and trying to work out long term plans would be helpful. With the increase of browse and the planting of food plots you will definitely be helping the deer. Covered feed troughs might be a good addition. You've got a lot of work/expenses ahead, let us know how it goes.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Man, you have a RARE opportunity for deer research. I would speak with University professors, wildlife researchers, food plot seed companies, food plot consultants etc., etc., and get the best advice. I would also approach them with the idea that they could get in on the ground floor of some exciting experiments. When you say timber is of no concern, the sale of it would be a great way to finance your efforts. In 1998 we had a 'micro burst' come through our area, which is basically like a small tornado, and knocked down or damageabout 100 trees in our 40 acre old growth forest. The woods border about 100 acres of crop land. we did a 'salvae cut' taqking down the damaged trees and about 300 trees over 22 inches. That cutting TOTALLY changed the character of the woods. We used to hunt the property edges because all of our neighbors had cut their land, therefore, their woods were thick with undergrowth, which in turn attrachted the deer. Our woods rarely had deer in it unless passing through in flight. Now, our hunting has changed since we have a lot of undergrowth and the deer travel patterns have definately changed. it has helped our ratios exponentially. In addition, we are now ready for a second cutting, which will put more $$$ in our pocket and the undergrowth will get even thicker. I would bring in some pro's for your situation. It is a great opportunity for all involved. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

I think you're expecting too much from food plots. They are not a cure-all in the slightest...they can also be a hinderance at times when the plots fail...as they have all through the southeast because of the drought. They artificially inflate the carrying capacity, plus they are just an enormous amount of work to maintain every year...especially the amount of acreage that you are saying that you will plant. If (when, actually, because it's just a matter of time) the plots fail, the deer shift to the native habitat, which may severely damage it. Deer, also, when held at a higher carrying capacity do not exclusively feed on your plots, they selectively feed on the plants that they prefer to eat in the forest. This, over time, will cause a change in species composition that may become irreversible. So, it is very important to your deer herd to, first, come up with a plan to manage your habitat...through cutting, burning, planting, etc. to provide all of their needs in smaller areas...or, in other words, to maximize the juxtaposition of habitat types. The level of juxtaposition ofhabitats that provide some form of utility (food, water, cover, space)is the most important consideration to make in managing deer that does not involvetrigger control. This will maximize the carrying capacity of your individual property without adversely affecting the habitat conditions permanently. Managing for edge alone is pretty short-sided as it does not cover all the bases.

As for just letting the deer herd go for a period of time...not a great idea. I would at least try toinfluence the herd's sex ratio toward a trajectory of being somewhat balanced. I'd suggest investing in several trail cameras and estimatingas closely as possiblewhat your sex ratio isbefore next season and harvesta number of does to control population growth as well as to suppress breeding activity of bucks in the younger age classes. This will make them healthier the following year...and over a several year period, you should see the body and rack size respond positively.

Anyway, I could go on and on forever, but I need to hit the hay! If you ever have any specific questions, feel free to PM me at any time.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM

is there surface water in the area? a river, stream or pond? if not, perhaps check what the ground water table is... perhaps a shallow pond can be dug? groundwater for me is only6 feet.... if your land is rolly/hilly like you said, there may be a shallow water table in your gullies... a water source is just as important as a foodplot.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

If your land provides plenty of cover along with desired food sources around it, you will be able to hold deer on your property, and during the rut, does will stay on your land and you will draw bucks from the neighbors land. Edges are important, and I think that thinning about 50% is a good idea. Along with the food plots, if you dont have many mast bearing trees (like Oaks and Persimmons) you should think about planting a couple Oak stands, granted it will take a long time to grow, it sounds like your in it for the long run and this would be a great idea for having a sustainable population of deer on your property.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well it was a great Idea however I was down at the property yesterday to finalize the deal and the previous own has gone in and cleared about 400 acres of the land down to bare dirt and has tore up alot of the property. Made me sick to see it. Needless to say the deal is off.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

where in semo did you find that ground???
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

What on earth did he do that for if he knew you were going to buy it?
Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ACut, Opening up the land will get you more deer in the second or third year of regrowth. I would suggest thinning or timbering the entire property down to 12 to 15 trees per acre and then planning out you plots from there. When you are cutting make sure you are taking those tops and collecting them in areas to help create bedding areas. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2200 Acres of land Old Growth Forest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.