Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need help planning ahead!!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Need help planning ahead!!

I am new to the form. I live in south dakota and own some land that has a very nice deer population. I get a lot of pictures of very nice bucks on the trail cam but when the season starts they just disapear. Because of this iam starting to get into archery since the season starts sooner than rifle. The land i own consists of a few shelter belts, cattail sloughs, some graceland, and brushed fencelines. Around my area corn soybeans and wheat is farmed. Since the deer dont like to stick around on my property im thinking of starting up some food plots this comming spring. Seeing you guys know a lot about food plots i was wondering if you could help me out. Types of things to plant, when to plant, how to plant, ext.... i thinking of plantingthree plots but nothing to big.

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help planning ahead!!

The things I'ld plant-

Alfalfa
Clover
Turnups

You need to disc the area..take a Soil Sample and see what you PH is.This will help you figure out how much Fertilizer you'll need. Then Plant........watch it grow!! Keep the weeds down and see if it works.

Guys fill in the stuff I left out!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Another thing you want to make sure that you have the cover to keep on your property.qdma.com has lots of good info also
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

do a soil test and start applying lime. you'll have to drive your truck to the quarry and buy a ton, then spread it by hand, then repeat. apply 1 ton per acre, in about 10 days you'll get your soil test back. it'll tell you how much lime to apply. it might be 1 ton, it might be 3.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Where do i take my soil to be tested, is it expensive? Where do u get the lime from? I was thinking of planting some MOB Maxxium for its brasicass that produce a ton of protein from what i have read, for clover i thought maybe WI whitetail imperial clover or MOB premium perennial, and lastly WI imperial winter greens because they say the deer hit them hard after the frost. There are so many different types i just dont know what to choose. I im not leaning towards the alfalfa becasue the neighbor has a large feild of it next door.

kid
Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find the closest Fertilizer & Chemical go there ask them if they do Soil samples..if yes then go out and fill up as many brown sacks as needed

Tips-

2 bags per field...one on each end...remember to mark it!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM

I second the cover idea! If your neighbor has the groceries all you need is the cover for them to bed and move through.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

For the soil samples, our county extension office does them for free. They even provide the kits. If this doesn't happen in your area, I would check with your state Department of Agriculture or your state university.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Soil testing in South Dakota:

http://plantsci.sdstate.edu/soiltest/
Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM

What do u guys think about the stuff im thinking of planting? Whats a better company Mossy oak biologic or whitetail institue?

Thanks for the input guys its really helpful!!

Kid

Quick Reply: Need help planning ahead!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.