Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

small acreage qdm

Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: small acreage qdm

It is worth it period. The only way to lead is by example. Rember QDM is not about bagging bigger bucks its about managing the herd in balance with ther habitat. Even if your neighbors are not into it now, practice what you preach and don't be pushy, most will come around. I had one neighbor who never shot any does just bucks. With some encouragment and watching me take does he is know a member of the QDMA, and helping me get a qdm co-op started.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

There in Wisconsin, it is probably imperative that you start practicing QDM...to help balance the herd with the habitat, help reduce the risk of CWD, balance the buck:doe ratio...just produce an all-around healthier deer herd. Remember though that Quality Deer Management is not the same as Trophy Deer Management...you do not 'cull' bucks in QDM, you harvest by age class...you will see an improvement in your deer herd if you manage the property, your trigger finger and try to be as un-intrusive on the property as possible.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure you can be successful with QDM on a small acreage...might take a little bit more work and patience. Your first - and most important - step is to create a sanctuary where deer have security cover, food and water source nearby,AND is off limits to people during 98% of the year. This, I feel, is much more important than any food plot, although plots are a piece of the puzzle as well. If you give deer a place where they are undisturbed, they will stay.
Aggreed 100%. You just need to understand that you won't have the control over a population that someone that is managing 1000 acres does, but you can make a great difference for a the herd and your hunting. My hunting buddy has 41 acres that his house is on. We hunt other larger tracts, but we imploy the same measures at his house as we do anywhere else and he killed a buck I scored at 150.25 this year. Go Get Em!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM

do qdma I did it on 40 acres it works
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Spike

i would try to talk to your neighbors about it because where i hunt we have an 80 we own and have permision to hunt another 160 and we went around to our neighbors and let them know what were trying to do and there going to help in the process of getting bigger bucks so i hope it works and good luck
Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is another time when folks might need to be more clear in exactly how they are defining things. As someone else pointed out, there is a difference between QDM and those strategies thatcenter on ensuring that every deer that walks past your stand is a trophy buck. I have a small piece of ground and will happily cooperate with my neighbors to do QDM, but will not modify my practices on my own land just to insure that they are always guaranteed a massive buck.