Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Stands per Acre

Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stands per Acre

I have 3 on 22 acres....1 on the NW side,1 on the south side and1 on the west side.This is to compensate(spl)for wind direction and movement........there is a pond on the east side.........
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my neck of the woods, a stand about every 40 acres is as close as you'll ever need them.

However, keep in mind this is the number of stands, not the number of hunters. This same land can only handle a harvest of 2-3 mature bucks per section, not 16. If there were a hunter in every stand, and every hunter shoots a buck, they'd be shooting nothing but yearling bucks by the second season.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: NiceAndBlue

I wouldn't worry about putting too many stands in the woods as much as I would worry about putting too many people in the woods.
Exactly. I have about 10 stands on my 40 acres. Some are used regualrly by me and some rarely. But I like to wander and sit wander and sit. It would be rare for there to be more than 2 people in the woods at the same time, usually it's just me.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

"In my neck of the woods, a stand about every 40 acres is as close as you'll ever need them."

That is just about right. One has to carefully place the stands so the he/she does not spook the deer while getting to the stand. All our places are small-80 acres. Each place has a heavily wooded deer sanctuarythat we almost never go into, especially near deer season. One place has the greenbrier patch from hell that deerlove to bed in.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

In the hardwoods I hunt you could go as high as 1 guy every 20 acres if there's good bedding or food sources, though I'd reccomend a useage schedule.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have 19 acres, entirely wooded and hilly (actually cut up with small creeks and ravines). The deer enter my property at 4 major points. I have stand sites at opposite corners of the land and could easily accomodate two hunters at the same time who could enter and leave the property and not even be aware of each others presence during bow season. In that terrain a gunshot from the opposite corner sounds like it is miles away. In the part of Illinois where i own land, one would be hard pressed to find many stands that arent within 300-400 yards of another on someone else's property.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 PM

i'm in a lease with my best friend and his dad of 80 acres, we have 11 stands set up, and we keep tract of where each other sits and when. there are probably 2-3 stands that could be taken down with ease, they maybe get sat in once or twice a year. a lot of it has to do with wind direction and season, too, so that way we do have selections. only two of really hunt it, the third is only in there like twice a month, like many others have said, watch the number of people hunting it!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

yeah, 2 stands on 80 acres wouldnt be enough for some people..i would want stands to play the
wind and hot spots...rut stands in funnels and such...i might say 6-8 stands
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Spike

You didn't state where you are from and what kind of hunting you want to do. Just to hunt deer, big buck hunting or what? At my parents we have 6 stands plus 2 blinds on 20 acres and all but one you can see someone else in a stand. We are just there to hunt and kill deer. If we have a good buck come through all the better. Our property isn't that thick but it is a sanctuary between a no hunting park, golf course and houses. Even if we drive it 5 days a week they are right back in there the next morning. The big bucks don't hang around but during the rut if the does are there the bucks aren't far away. It all depends on what you are hunting for deer or trophy bucks and how your property is set up.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 AM

I live on 95 acres and we have a total of 21 stands. One box blind (was there when we bought the porperty) 3 hangon stands. 16 ladder stands. and 1 permanant stand(was there when we bought the property). THe stands don't really matter. Its the number of hunters IMO like said before

Quick Reply: Stands per Acre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.