Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots vs. Soybean

Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Food Plots vs. Soybean

I hunt in Ohio and recently purchased 100 acres in Southeast Ohio. In order to improve my hunting experience I planted (2) food plots (Imperial Whitetail Clover) approximately 1/2 in size each. Within the same fields I have about 60 acres of soybean. From field observation and trail cameras pictures it appears that the deer prefer the soybeans at this particular time of the year over the clover. Does anyone have the same situation. Should I expect to see more activity at the food plots once the beans have been removed.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Food Plots vs. Soybean

Any ideas fellows.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM

in my opinion soy beans (the leaves) rank right up there with corn as a deer's absolute favorite food. Deer like clover, but probably not as much as they like bean leafs. The reason clover is so popular with whitetail food plots is that its healthy and high in protein, fairly easy to establish, withstands browsing fairly well, and generally will come back again the next year... not neccessarily because the deer prefer it over other crops.

once the beans begin to brown and get ready for harvest in a couple weeks, the deer will lay off of them and probably hit the clover much harder. beans are an excellent food plot if you have enough land so i would be thankful. i have a 2 acre plot and it stays demolished. not one plant in that entire plot will produce a bean this year.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Spike

I'm going to say that the deer are used to eating soybeans, they love them and they are high in protein and naturally good for them. However, when they are gone, they'll be looking for something else good to eat. Unless there are some farm crops nearby that they are used to or the acorns are falling like crazy or the persimmons are calling their name......you can kiss your two 1/2 acre plots of imperial whitetail clover GOOD-BYE!!! Good luck and be patient. It going to happen.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer prefer soybeans to nearly everything else.Deer love the green immature plants, too.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Will the clover last into the winter, will the deer eat it after a frost? Thanks for the help, I am new at the food plot planting
Old 10-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer will turn off the soybeans when the leaves yellow from frost and drop. - They will move over to your clover for sure.

If soybeans are left standing into winter - the deer will come back and feed hevily when the pods start to split - or snow gets pod height.

Most clovers - and all perenial clovers remain green all winter - and will be a preferred food when everything else is brown. They'll paw through snow to get it if need be.

FH