Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New Property..what would you do??

Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Property..what would you do??

Scenerio-
Lets say you just bought 750 acres of hunting grounds.

Its full of oaks,has one 4 acre pond,and some grown up fields.

What would be the first thing to do after you bought the propertyand scouted.

I'ld have to....set out some trailcams,Disk the grown up fields,Plant Food Plots,set out some mineral stations,and main thing..HANG SOME STANDS!!

so....did i miss anything?lol
Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Default RE: New Property..what would you do??

The first thing to do is probably what your doing by asking the question, develop a detailed plan of what you want to achieve and the best way to go about doing it. Through developing a plan you will assess the strengths and weakness' of the property. If you are planning on managing for deer then assess the basic needs of food, water and cover.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get out the topographic maps and aerial photos. Look for funnels and travelways of equal elevation and dense vegetation, including neighbours property. Plan onlinking the travelways and locating rhe plots in adjacent areas. Don't forget the sanctuary.

DanO.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lay out any roads you think you will need and any additional food plots you might want to put in. Try to know as much about the adjacent lands as you can.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got another place to hunt...Theres only been one guy to hunt it the past 6-7 years..theres always big bucks in there.We are not running him out because we won't hunt that much and I was wandering if you guys had any ideas on what to do.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

The very first thing I would do is go to Lowes and buy a few hundred, "Posted, No Trespassing" signs and some plywood backing for them, which I would cut to fit the size of the signs. If money were no object, I would high fence the entire perimeter.

The second thing would be to check out some aerial photos from GoogleEarth or Yahoo maps to see what things look like from the air. Topographical map would be next to see where the probable funnels are.

My biggest concern for my property is keeping others off of it. I don't like the idea of anyone getting over on me when I'm the one putting in the food plots, making the land payment and paying the taxes. Unfortunately, my line of thinking will cause a decline in hunting in the forthcoming years. But as long as I get mine...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you High Fence it..thats not hunting. Man I love my FREE-RANGE DEER!

I think people are ignorant for high-fencing!! I also don't like Shooting Houses!

I think a lot of people would agree about the High Fence!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Why high fence? To keep people out mainly, but it would cost a fortune to do it, so most likely I wouldn't go into more debt to do it. 1 square mile is 640 acres, so even if it is high fenced, you are still hunting smart animals. It's not like you are walking up to a cage and pulling the trigger on an animal. I'm not an advocate of the high fence for hunting, but I am an advocate of keeping trespassers off of property in my charge. I would never pay money to hunt at a place that is high fenced. I can shoot paper targets and get just as much enjoyment.

In my case, I do own 41 acres and since I live about 25 miles from this 41 acres, I just know that the locals can figure out when I'm not there and probably hunt it when they don't see my vehicle near the entrance. Knowing this has kept me from putting up ladder stands and anything else of value that can be walked away with. When I hunt my own 41 acres, I'm forced to pack my climber around to do it and the terrain is sloped. Also, from a legal liability stand point it's good to have your land "posted". If you own land, it really is a headache because of other people and their intrusions. If you don't own any land then you will not have a clue to the point I'm trying to convey.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

4+ miles of high fence would cost a fortune. Deer that are fenced in develop some very bad genes.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

plant apple trees, clover, and mineral...then do all the other stuff..nice apple trees..a sweet apple

Quick Reply: New Property..what would you do??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.