HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/208910-no-respect-my-no-trespassing-signs.html)

andrgo 09-26-2007 03:53 PM

No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

I recently spent a few days making some very nice, professional 'No Trespassing' signs to put on my land. I made them using aluminum signs, square pieces of plywood, 2x4's, and slick white paint. They're literally the nicest 'No Trespassing' signs I think I've ever seen (not to toot my own horn or anything.) I invested a lot of time and money into the signs, probably 1-2 hours each and somewhere between $4-6 a pop.

They've only been up for 3 weeks and already I found one missing today. I looked all over for it, walked up and down every road and ditch, and could not find it. Then, as I'm turning onto a road, I spot this white thing on top of a 12' high enbankment above a ditch. I get out of my car to investigate, and sure enough, it was my sign!! Somehow it managed to get out of the ground perfectly straight up (2x4 hole in the ground was still intact), and go 500 feet away on top of a 12' enbankment. Sadly, it was all banged up/scratched and I salvaged what I could from it.

I don't know if someone got pissed that I put up 'No Trespassing' signs, or if it was some drunk or bored kids, or what. All I know is that I worked my ass off on the thing and some idiot thought it'd be fun to chuck it up onto a small cliff 500 feet away.

I'm thinking about using Quikrete to permanently fix them into the ground - but who's to say they won't come by again and just hack it off above that? Or is there some type of little GPS locator that I could embed into the wood post in case the sign goes missing?
Thoughts/advice?

TimberCreek 09-26-2007 07:15 PM

RE: No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

I feel your pain, I had nice aluminum backed signs attached to my fence and they were all stolen! Don't know if they were after the aluminum or the free signs or what. Instead of attaching to the fence, I put them back off attached to trees and they have not disappeared yet.It is a sad state that we even have to put up fences and post but in my state my DNR agent told me they won't even prosicute unless it is posted. I have had tires dumped, trees cut and even had thereflectors stolen from my drive so feel lucky.Trespassers are scum criminals already but when stealing it is criminal trespass. Hang them if you can!

steviebiggun 09-26-2007 07:32 PM

I kinda know the feeling, I purchased some property a few years back, the previous owner let everyone hunt it. and it was really hard to keep others off. I put up no trespassing signs but I still ran into people hunting on my new purchase. What I had made was a sign that had better results than with just the no trespass sign was a sign that said this.
No Trespassing This Property Monitored with Game/Trail Cameras.
I actually had one of my new neighbors contact the Game Warden to complain about my signs, stating that he didn't like the fact that I was taking his picture when he was on my property, and he also stated that he had hunted my property for years and he didnt think he should have to stop just because sombody new owned it .
Wheather you use game cameras or not These signs really really work. nobody wants there picture taken when there where there not suppose to be. Hope this Helps.

farm hunter 09-26-2007 08:31 PM

I think a fancy sign is just "ASKING" to get messed with. Especially if you don't live near your property.

Not saying its right - but if you've got problems with trepassers they probably weren't impressed.

FH

TimberCreek 09-26-2007 09:58 PM

So trespassers won't go on property with crappy signs? If only we had known!

Parrot Head 09-27-2007 05:57 AM

What I did was carry a step ladder in the woods and put them up as high as I could.

bawanajim 09-27-2007 10:06 AM

You don't even need a step ladder ,I use a milk crate its light ,easy to carry and it puts em just outta reach of the illiterate, brain dead , fatherless, P.O.S. that chose to trespass.

Lanse couche couche 09-27-2007 01:49 PM

i avoid that problem by not posting my land. In illinois i believe that it is trespassing unless you have permission no matter if the land is posted or not. So, its kinda like posting your property in town and hoping that will keep the burglars away. But i can understand where it would be a problem in states that require one to post their land. I would put the things about 15 feet up in the trees, but not trees that you would want to lose to lead poisoning.[&o]

And i wouldn't be too quick to blame other hunters. In my experience a lot of the mischief that gets blamed on hunters is often kids out late at night with nothing better to do than mess with people's property.

answerguy 09-27-2007 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: steviebiggun

I kinda know the feeling, I purchased some property a few years back, the previous owner let everyone hunt it. and it was really hard to keep others off. I put up no trespassing signs but I still ran into people hunting on my new purchase. What I had made was a sign that had better results than with just the no trespass sign was a sign that said this.
No Trespassing This Property Monitored with Game/Trail Cameras.
I actually had one of my new neighbors contact the Game Warden to complain about my signs, stating that he didn't like the fact that I was taking his picture when he was on my property, and he also stated that he had hunted my property for years and he didnt think he should have to stop just because sombody new owned it .
Wheather you use game cameras or not These signs really really work. nobody wants there picture taken when there where there not suppose to be. Hope this Helps.
Or maybe the trespassers are just thinnking "Oh boy! Free deer cameras!"

farm hunter 09-27-2007 07:45 PM

I didn't mean that crappy signs would keep them off! Trespassers go where they please - obviously - signs or not.

These same types have no regard for others hard work - and often a grudge against it - so when they see something nice - they sometimes trash it.

sorry - I didn't mean to confuse.

FH