Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs... >

No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Spike

Default RE: No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

Maybe this sign will work!! LOL

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

We put up signs allowing people to walk through, ride 4 wheelers on main trails - and snowmobile through the property for most of the year.

Then in September - we put up signs on the main trail access points that say hunting season is in progress - and that we ask them to please stay off until January 1st. Guess what - they generally do!

We invite the local snowmobile club, and 4 wheeler club to use our property as a pass-through in all but hunting seasons.

I can honestly say that in my experience most of these folks are respectful and are very good at policing their own. Its not always "us against them" - at least it doesn't have to be. If you are an &#%hole landowner - sometimes you don't get treated with much respect - whether its right or wrong.

FH
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

"If you are an &#%hole landowner - sometimes you don't get treated with much respect - whether its right or wrong."

Well, i paid for the place, i improved it and i pay the taxes on it. In light of the fact that my places have been tresspasser magnets for years, i also have the right to be an a$$hole about their trespassing. Those fine folks that you allow on your place would also sue you in a minute if they were to upset their snowmobile and get hurt.

Ahunter fell out of a tree stand on my friendsplace, got hurt and sued him. Cost him tens of thousands of dollars for a lawyer.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

A hunter fell out of a tree stand on my friends place, got hurt and sued him. Cost him tens of thousands of dollars for a lawyer.
Unless OK is different from Indiana in this respect the landowner is normally protected from liability in cases of trespass, especially posted property, or injuries sustained while hunting with permission.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately, I have had a similar problem. [>:]I inherited my land from an uncle whoallowed any and all to hunt. It has taken me four years to get the point across that I don't allow hunting except for family and friends. I have had my signs shot to pieces and pulled down. I finally went to a cheap paper sign stapled to a piece of plywood with the idea of having to replace them.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Unless OK is different from Indiana in this respect the landowner is normally protected from liability in cases of trespass, especially posted property, or injuries sustained while hunting with permission."

It was not true in WV a few years ago. This is where it happened. The puke had been hunting on that place for 20 years and fell out of his own rotted tree stand. A farmer in Taylor county WV lost his farm to a civil suit under similar circumstances.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If I were the judge in the case I would have ruled against the dirtbag since he was committing a crime at the time the injury happened. Nobody should have to pay a scumbag under those circumstances.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

i think the point about A-hole landowners is that if you are a prick in general, not just toward trespassers, people wil likely do stuff like that just to let you know how they feel. Where i own land, there are lots of really good neighbors that look out for each others places like they were their own. But then there are a couple of folks that could have a field full of poachers and most folks wouldnt even bother with it. Not saying its right or wrong, but that's they way it is.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

In NY, posted property does not always mean that the landowner is safe from a lawsuit if a person is hurt - even while trespassing, (open wells come to mind).

However, when you allow a snowmobile club access to make trails on your property, their insurance will cover any injury that might occur. For the most part, at least in my area - many of these snowmobilers are freinds and neighbors of mine - and they tend to appreciate the access - and look out for the property. They also make sure that the trails are well marked and that the poeple using them are members and stay on marked areas only. Before we let the snowmobiling club in - people went EVERYWHERE - and were completely uncontrollable.

Sure any landowner has the right to post and not allow anyone on his property. I'm saying that if you put upcrazy signs - like some posted here - and generally come off as a jerk - then your neighbors and others will not treat you or your property with a whole lot of respect.

FH

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

You just have to prosecute them. I got tired of being nice and having my hunts ruined and mushrooms taken. So one year I had 8 people arrested. Word gets out that your an a-hole.

Quick Reply: No respect for my 'NO TRESPASSING' signs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.