Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

anyone have any pics of feeders they have placed in the woods with
a timer on them?? would like to see how u did it. thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

the timers are normally built into the feeder. it automatically adjusts the feeding time depending on sunrise and sunset.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

yeah..thanks, but have u ever hung one of the feeds thatlooklike a bucket from a tree..med high??
Old 09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

All my feeders hang from trees. Mine are10gallon trash cans with the lids held on with two screws. Next timei am at one of the places will get a photo. You've got to get innovative to keep the coons off the tops of the feeder. Hang it from a long cable, about 3-4 feet.

Thefeeder unit should be about 5-6 feet off the ground to keep deer from butting the unit to knock the feed out. Got to put chicken wire around the bottom of the containerand extend itbelow the control unit in order to keep the birds out. Had a problem with the crows and jays flying into thefeeder unitand knocking the corn out:Thechicken wire takes care of that problem.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

nice info...do u make urs or just buy the cans with the feed thrower attached? thanks again and get a pic
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

i buy the feeder unit and attach them to galvanized 10 gallon garbage cans that have bails.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 PM

I made a tripod out of 2" conduit. Didn't have very long pieces, so I used 2 pieces per leg and couplers. I took a 30 gal plastic roundup barrel and washed it out really well. Bought one of those 30 dollar spinners with a timer on it and attached it to the bottom. I rapped the top of the tripod with some wire and hung a block and tackle from the top. It'll hold about 200lbs of shell corn. It's hell to get it pulled up though.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Be careful picking the rope you useto pull it up. Most ropes will stretch a bunch. This one that feeds twice a day.

http://www.racksnspurs.com/images/feeder.jpg
Old 09-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

how about the moultrie all in one feeder...really unique...is there a way to make them work to steal??
any rigs?? thanks again
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the time you can find places like Atwoods that sell 50 gallon barrels for anywhere from $5 to $15. I drove 2 spikes into the tree (not one of any value) and used cinch straps to hold the barrel against the tree. The spikes hold the weight and the straps hold the barrel in place...very simple. The attachment was a 'straight-shooter', I believe was the name of it. The animals couldn't tamper with it to get the corn out as they could one with a spinning plate. I'll look for a pic.

Quick Reply: Feeder Hung from Tree in Wood??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.