Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Persimmon Trees

Old 08-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Persimmon Trees

Last year all of my persimmon trees were full of fruit. This year I see nothing. Don't they provide fruit each year or did the late frosts kill them?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Persimmon Trees

i hunt in sw ga and i have the same deal most every other year.loaded with fruit one year and bare trees the next. i've heard that they only produce every other year, but i also know for a fact that it has a lot to do with lack of summer rain.no persimmons for me this year either, need to focus on acorn crop.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I just did a search on yahoo bout persimon trees. one site mentioned if a tree is loaded one year, it may not produce the next and back and forth (also known as biennial).
Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Spike

i dunno but ours don't have any either, and they usually produce every year
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Gamespooker, do you know how long it takes for a 'simmon tree to bear fruit? Don't have any so would like to buy some.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM

man honestly i can't really answer that question. other than the fact i know that they don't grow too fast.but i would have to guess no more than a couple years. I'm planning on planting more on my farm this year in december
Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM

I bought 2 packages of Persimmon trees from the DNR site 3 yrs ago to plant and they were about 3 ft tall. The deer killed them all by eating them to the ground. I do have about 10 trees that are around 25 ft tall and they normally bare allot of fruit. but skimpy this year.Dear love them in late fall.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Fork Horn

They aren't biennial as far as their mast crop is concerned, but they can be cyclic, especially in the presence of competition.I have a large grove that produces every year.The most likely culprit this year in the failed mast crop was the late freeze.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

leehoper,

I have one growing ina pot in my backyard to transplant this winter. Its been there 1 1/2yrs. It has a single fruit on it and its about 5' tall. It was about 3' when i potted it. If you provide water, they will grow at least 1' per year. If youd like to beable to provide water without visiting it on a super regular basis, look into putting an oozetubearound them. This is a water bag that drips water at a slow rate. www.engineeredwatering.com/Ooze_Tube.htm

It did have more fruit on it, but I failed to water it for a while this summer and most dropped off. Id think w/in 5 yrs, youll have fruit. Maybe not a lot, but some.

If you plant some, be sure to put up a cage around them. Ive used the 2/3 welded wire fence before held up with t-posts to protect trees.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

yes they usually are full one year and not so full the next. buy some 10-10-10 spikes and put around 2-3 of them in the
early spring and they will have the sweetest fruit. i hunted them for a few years in DE. OLD deer love them because of the soft
flesh and their bad toofers...soooo..u can always expect a mature deer to hit them...and bucks scent check them during
the rutttt...in pure daylight

Quick Reply: Persimmon Trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.