HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   ATV for foodplots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/202695-atv-foodplots.html)

sparkysteve 08-17-2007 04:39 PM

ATV for foodplots

I was wondering what ATV's you guys use for foodplots. I'd like to get a new one this spring. We have a 4' wide disc, boom sprayer, and spreader that a hunting buddy made (he's a fabricator). We just don't have an ATV capable of pulling the disc. I'd like to do some trail riding as well as some yard work and moving a few light trailers I have too. I need some recommendations. I like Honda's and their drivetrain. I really like the new Honda Rancher 420, but I'm afraid it won't have enough now end touque.Ithasthe same HP as theForeman 500. Is the Foreman worth the extra $$$. We'll probably have a localhobby farming neighbor come over with his tractor androto-tiller to do the heavy work plowing for the first time. I just want to maintain it after that. All the areas I want to plot are already mowed with a brush hog every year and the soil dosen't have many rocks, clay, etc.Any input would begreat.

indybrad 08-17-2007 04:45 PM

RE: ATV for foodplots

I would get something that is over a 400cc and watercooled. I used my Yamaha Kodiak 450 for the first time this year. It did a great job. Don't know if they still make the Kodiak series, but I love mine.

falcon 08-18-2007 07:32 PM

The problem with ATVs is that they are not tractors. Several of my friends tore theirs up making food plots. Buy a smalltractor.

psandhu 08-18-2007 07:52 PM

i wouldn't pull a disk with an atv unless it costs over 6k dollars. with that kind of money you can buy a small tractor and not worry about tearing things up. a smaller atv should be ok for a spreader and sprayer. a 6k tractor with a 3pt hitch and pto will allow you to do so many more things than you can with an atv. i've got a 35hp deere, a 2 row planter i bought for 150 bucks, 5 foot disk, bush hog, 2 bottom plow, boxblade, and a 10' boom sprayer. get a tractor. each year you can buy another implement that you can use the rest of your life. a tractor will last alot longer than an atv.

falcon 08-19-2007 07:21 AM

This is the Mitsubishi tractor that i bought for $3,000including the brush hog. It is a little too small with 18 horsepower, but it burns much less fuel than a riding lawn mower. It is also easy to haul around to my plots.

Robv2007 08-19-2007 08:37 AM

i also have the yamaha kodiak 450 to do my food plots and it works amazing. I tilled about 1 acre of land with pulling a 6 foot by 8 foot tiller made for tractors and it worked great. Just put it in 4 low diff lock and hammer down. I bought mine used for 4k.

sparkysteve 08-19-2007 12:52 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I realize that ATV's don't make the best tractors, but tractors also make lousy ATV's. ATV's are fun to trail ride, nicer for getting into tight spots to get deer and gear in and out of the woods. I just want an ATV that can do that, and handle a little work/towing too. I don't plan to work it too hard. IfI had $12000 I'd buy a tractor and an ATV but I don't. I also live about an hour from our hunting property and ATV'stransport more easily we don't have a place to store it at our cabin.