HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   hole/depression on property, how do I make it a water hole? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/202317-hole-depression-property-how-do-i-make-water-hole.html)

DougMD 08-15-2007 09:08 AM

hole/depression on property, how do I make it a water hole?

I have a depression on my property in an area where there is no water nearby, and would like to line it with something to make it a water hole from rain runoff. To my recollection, it is circular in shape at the surface, about 8 feet in diameter,and 5 or 6 feet deep. First, is it feasible to make a water hold out of it from rain runoff that wildlife will use? Should I buy a plastic liner, or will deer punch holes in it if they come to drink? Bentonite? I was thinking I could make some way of diverting water on the hillside above the hole to it,filling it higher and more quickly than simply lining thehole and doing nothing else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Roadkillwarrior 08-15-2007 10:35 AM

RE: hole/depression on property, how do I make it a water hole?

We have alot of sink holes in our woods caused from when they use to mine clay for the brick kilns. They hold water on there own, but I dont know if the deer drink from them or not. I did make my own water hole one time that worked well but eventually a hole got in the liner and gave up on keeping it filled. You might try to line the bottom with clay like bentonite or even native clay works well. good luck!

timbercruiser 08-15-2007 11:15 AM

Lining with clay is very hard to get a seal on the water. The plastic lineris probably the best route to go.

DougMD 08-15-2007 11:52 AM

Thanks timbercruiser. What thickness would deer be not likely to penetrate? Thanks again! I was able to search a similar thread from last year or earlier this year where someone said to search "pond" on the home depot site. I did so, and see liners in 20 mil plastic, but the size probably isn't right for me. If I know the proper thickness, I can measure the hole, calculate the size, and shop places for a good deal on the size that matches my needs.

Criggster 08-15-2007 05:05 PM

I would not trust a plastic liner to last very long. The deer and other animals would likely puncture it with their feet.

Wingbone 08-15-2007 05:47 PM

It will depend where the hole is in the landscape. If it's at the top of a hill or knob, don't waste the effort trying to make a pond out of it. If it is in a swale or in an area that a fair amount of surface water can be diverted to, it might be worth a try. Lining it with a foot or two of clay or3" of bentinite under a foot of clay would be effective. Lay the clay in 6" lifts and run over the damp clay lining with heavy machinery and you'll get very good sealing. You still need a consistant source of water, be it surface runoff or groundwater.

Dan O. 08-15-2007 05:53 PM

Try an old swimming pool liner first to see if water will accumulate. Cover the liner with dirt/smooth stone for protection. You'll have very little invested. I've seen an alternative method where you install the liner covered with stone on the side of the hill leading to the depression. You use the liner to direct the rain into a drum at the bottom where the animals water.

Dan O.

DougMD 08-17-2007 09:34 AM

I will look at the hole next time and decide what to do. It is on a hillside, so I won't have a problem using a liner to divert water to it. The soil itself is sandy loam, so will definately need a liner or clay/bentonite to hold water. The potential benefits are huge given that there aren't any water sources for a good distance in every direction.

Freezersfull 08-20-2007 01:35 AM

Concrete will work to..They have a pool mix. this what ppl use on their inground pools..just sand and cement no rock..just get wet enough to make it stick together; if not you'll have a mess..smooth it out with aflat shovel..pour it about 4' thick so it wont crack..Also remember this going to invite mosquitos and you'll have pollen in it and it will turn a nasty color..However they make a product you get at walmart or discount store that is shaped like a large tablet and it will get rid of mosquitos and clear the water at the same time..
Do what i did ..I got a old bathtub at a junkyard and use it..you can paint the outside so it want look so bad sitting in the woods..;)

psandhu 08-20-2007 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Freezersfull

pour it about 4' thick so it wont crack
4 feet thick seems like overkill to me. you're not making a machine gun nest or a bunker. i'd just make it a couple inches thick.