Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 So what have you learned about foot plots? >

So what have you learned about foot plots?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

So what have you learned about foot plots?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default So what have you learned about foot plots?

Hope you guys and girls are doing well.

I was just wondering what important lessons have been learned with your food plots. Mine are as follows.

1. Always do a soil test just like recommended by the pros.

2. Learned to take my time and not try to do it all in one day.Example,spray for weeds...wait then till the ground and pack and seed.

So whats the most valuable lessons for all of you wether its equipment or products?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: So what have you learned about foot plots?

1. It's hard to overlime poor soil, like whats found here- Lime, Lime, and more lime.

2. Learn what your local deer prefer, just because someone else has great success out of a particular crop, don't assume that all deer will "tear it up".
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wait till you have sufficient moisture to plant, even if it is a couple of weeks later than you want to plant.

Don't get carried away by the commericals you see.

Lime, 6 or months ahead of planting.

Cut up your plots a week or two before you plant.

Put some ammonia nitrateout about 7 weeks after planting.

Don't hunt the plot unless the wind is right.

A seed drill will save money.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Lime, lime, and more lime
Roundup once a month all summer in the worst weed patches. Those places will get winter plots.
Chicken litter is incredible fertilizer
Rain,no need to plantwithout it.
Grandaddy's antique Planet Jr. doesn't waste a seed, plants a path,shooting lane, or a plot, and gives one heck of a workout pushing it. No wonder he was fit in his 90's!
Of all the expensive seed I've tried, soybeans during the summer and oats during the winter work best here.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

See, this is all good stuff and us guys that have had the pleasure of crying in a food plot with no food in it can pass on the knowledge!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I second the chicken litter, and its cheap (or free).

And let me add 1 thing-

look at where your weeds are the stongest and thickest, there is a reason for that. That soil has more nutrients than soil that is more baren. Plant that area and you'll likely need very little soil building.

And a second- you can make a very nice plot with hand tools and hardwork, you dont have to have implements, its just easier that way.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like anything that will keep coming back on it's own--then the thing that helps maintain them the most is mowing(timed just before a good rain)and adding a little to them(light overseeding)in the spring and/or fall.Waitng for clover to grow to seed THEN mowing,helps re-seed the clover and gives it a much better tasting and thicker forage.jmo.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Other than lessons about the weather,

I've learned that clover is a hard to beat perennial. Even when everything else fails and dies,
if you have a good clover bed, deer will be in there. Most of my plots have at least some
clover in them. Trying chicken litter this year. Cheaper and easier than 10-10-10.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

When everything that can fail has failed, something else will fail that you didn't expect.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

1) Weed control is so important.

2) corn makes a great food plot for all kinds of wildlife, just make sure that you plant enough of it.

Quick Reply: So what have you learned about foot plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.