Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

08 Food Plots....sound good?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Default 08 Food Plots....sound good?

Well I have two plots planned for next year. Here they are...

Plot 1: Soybean and Sorghum

Im going to be clearing out most of the ground cover and leaves in my woods and cut down some trees to let in a little more light. Then we are going to add the right amount of fertilizer and or lime. Im really looking forward to this plot because it will not only provide great ground cover for my gamebirds in the winter it will also provide great food for my whitetails and other wildlife.

Plot 2: ???

I need your guys opinion on what would be the better summer-winter attractants here is what I have lined up...
Pick your top 3-4 out of those seeds. This plot is going to be out in the field. I want half of the plot to be summer-fall attractant and the other half to be fall-winter attractant.
[ul][*]Purple top turnip[*]Sugar Beet[*]White clovers[*]Sweet clovers[*]Crimson colvers[*]Red clovers[*]ladino clovers[*]chicory[*]Lab Lab[*]Alfalfa[/ul]
Old 08-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 08 Food Plots....sound good?

How Big is the plot? (Block Area with no trees)

That makes a big difference.

FH
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turnips,Clover,and Alfalfa..add all 3!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM

Its probably going to be about 40-50 yds long and 10-20 ft wide. Ive decided just to get some Biologic Maximum and Full draw. The first plot is evolved habitats Maximize. Which is the sorghum and soybean mix. Im really looking forward to next year. And these are just two plots I have picked out right now. I might also put in acouple more little secret spot plots up on the mountain if I get real frisky lolWill post pics this spring of pics of before plot work and plot growth and hopefully plot success..AKA big deer down!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a small plot like this you need someting that can handle browsing (like clovers) - or that doesn't get ate until hunting season (like a brassica - or Late planted Rye).

Soybeans are out as are any peas or corn. Hopefully you'll get enough light. If not - Try a Mid Sept Planted Rye - It starts growing fast when the leaves drop. in the beginnig of Oct.

You may have seen this clover plot of mine on another link - its basically an Expanded "roadway" around a beaver pond.Varies 10-20 yds x 100 yds (approx).Its not in an olderwoods so it might get more light than n your situation though - still it gives you an idea of a plot that can handle heavy browsing. This plot will be manicured to the ground comeOctober.

Planted July 1st.

Picture from 8-10 (Clover Mix - several white clover varieties, Alsike clover)

FH
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 AM

I was thinking about a clover plot! Did you buy the clover mixed or buy seed? If so where did you get it?
**AND** DO you think the clover plot would work better in the woods and the Soybean and Sorghum would work better out in the field?**

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing will grow great in the woods.

If its an open hardwoods - Unless you clear treesabout 100 ft-200ft either side of a plot - it will be too shaded to do too much. Clover will do better in "shady situations" than Sorghum or soybean - but honsestly don't expect too much from a wooded plot -especially a logging tral UNLESS its clear cutted either side.

I planted a Mix. Its Imperial Whitetail clover - and another mix including Alsike Clover, WhiteDutch, Clover& Birdsfoot trefoil. I think I got it from Gander Mountain in the Winter last year. I like a mix of seeds because you never knowwhat the weather willbe. The spot in this picture is usually VERY wet -so I wanted Alsike in the Mix - and White Dutch which can grow almost anywhere. As it is, the Spring/Summer was DRY - and the Ladino (IWC)clovers in the plot are doing well.

FH