HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   turnips (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/200769-turnips.html)

gjs4 08-05-2007 07:19 PM

turnips

I had an early post here asking what a certain kind of plant was in my food plot mix (Quaker Boy 15+)...I now know it is a turnip...why you ask? because i have about 200 turnips in my food plot....theyre useless until a cold snap, right? will they make it until Novemebr from now?

thanks

Phil from Maine 08-05-2007 07:31 PM

RE: turnips

Yes they will make into Nov. without any problems and the deer love to eat those tops as well...

kevin1 08-06-2007 06:17 AM

I planted a small patch of white topped purple turnips last year, they ignored them until just after the hunting season ended, then tore them up. Go figure...

woofer 08-06-2007 12:00 PM

Yelp they do better after the first frost... And get some and add some fat back and cook them.. then have a little cornbread and pepper sauce.. they will make you slap your grandma..

gjs4 08-06-2007 03:48 PM

will they make it 2/3 more months/ We may get a frost in Sept...but the end of october is usally when they set in (and predicting the weather in western NY is hopeless anyway).....

Maybe i will try the slap your g-ma recipe as well......

MK M GOBL 08-06-2007 07:23 PM

It all depends upon the deer. I've had deer on certain farms hammer turnips in Sept/Oct.

Phil from Maine 08-06-2007 07:56 PM

I think it depends on the type of turnips as well..

fetzeriiif 08-07-2007 09:40 AM

I wouldn't count on them to do any major drawing until late season or possibly after season. Last year my turnips were huge. I'll bet they were bigger than six inches. The deer did not touch them until mid December and I live in northern Wisconsin. Everyone says they hammer them after the frost hits. I'd say a short frost won't do it. For me it took a hard frost and steady cold weather. In fact, they pretty much left it alone until there was snow on the ground. Then they hammered it. This year I planted some, but focused more on early season draws like alfalfa and clover. Good luck.

woofer 08-07-2007 10:41 AM

We are talking about the greens and not the turnips right??? In my experience if the deer has something else to eat they usually get on the turnips later in the year..
And I was talking about cooking greens also....Sorry

ericstacy 08-14-2007 11:05 PM

I usaully plant in the center of the field early a blend of Rape, Turnip, Collard and Purple Top. Keeps the deer walking around the edge during bow but then moving to the center during rifle. They like em just not first.
Eric AKA: DeerDope