Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

No apples!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default No apples!

I have property in the Westen Southern Tier of NY and was not able to get there in April or May. The property contains several stands of apple trees which have been a wonderful attractant for deer. When I did finally get down there I noted that there is not an apple to be had on any of our trees. The last few years they have all produced fruit. Does anyone recall if there was a late frost? Also any information you would like to share on pruning and fertilizing somewhat neglected apple trees would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No apples!

apples are cyclical - and this must be your year to suffer - ours was last year (2006). It most definitely has to do with late frosts -and there is almost nothing you can do about it.

Pruning will help fruit production(start by removing all DEAD WOOD) - and any sucker shoots (straight up branches).Also - allowing more sunlight to overgrown trees by cuttingsurrounding brush/trees will help more than anything.

We have a "medium" apple crop this year on our property in central NY.

FH
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM

AT THE RISK OF SHOWING MY IGNORANCE, I NEVER HEARD (OR READ) THAT APPLE TREES WERE "CYCLICAL".
NOW SAYING THAT...

ALL OF OUR APPLE TREES THAT I'VE LOOKED AT THIS YEAR (AND I HAVEN'T CHECKED THEM ALL) HAVE NO SIGN OF ANY FRUIT PRODUCTION EITHER. I THOUGHT MAYBE I GOT A LITTLE CARRIED AWAY WITH THE FERTILIZER POSSIBLY. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER FED THEM AND I THOUGHT POSSIBLY THAT MAY HAVE MESSED THEM UP.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT WE HAD ANY LATE FROST, BUT I MAY BE WRONG.

OUR PROPERTY IS IN WNY.....
Old 07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in NC PA we got a late cold snap/frost that knocked the blossoms off my peach and apple trees.Non here either.That sucks!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I worded that wrong. They are cylclical - in that some years a frost will effect their apple production and other years not. Even a heavy frost won't matter if the blossums were sufficiently fertilized beforehand. I light frost at the wrong time can be all you need to cause no apples.

FH

Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could it be drought related. Or it could be a problem with pollenation. There is a lot of talk about the bee populations being way down in many parts of the country. If not properly pruned the sucker branches rob most of the nutrition that goes into the fruit. Best time to prune is in late fall.......dabow
Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I have 3 apple trees in my front yard and 2 of them have plenty of apple but one has hardly any. The funny thing is the ones that have them this year didnt have hardly any last year and the one that has none had a crap load last year. Are they like oaks that have a bad mast crop one year and the next they are loaded.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:11 AM

No apples here either in NC..Now the mountain communities have them..But they are a bussiness i think they use something on them to keep the frost from getting them..I got a whole truck bed full of apples for $30.00 this year this may be your only alternative..
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farm Hunter is right. Apples are biennial. The frost only makes it worse. Up here in the great white north my crop is a bumper. The wildlife can't keep up with the supply.

http://www.virginiafruit.ento.vt.edu/thinning.htm

Dan O.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Several factors caneffect apple production. Early frosts like mentioned. Lack of rain, too much rain. Apple tree's are not going to produce loads of apples every yr.
One thing I would like to add on helping your apple trees. You can't fertlize & prune at just anytime of the year either. There are times when its best. Pruning is done during dormancy. Usually Jan.-mid March in NY.

Quick Reply: No apples!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.