Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot

Old 07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default food plot

is there any difference in the winter oats i can get at my local mill than the ones in the high priced food plot seeds. and also what conditions does it take to grow rye.

i thinking about getting some winter oats, white clover, and rye for a food plothow do yall think it will turn out
Old 07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: food plot

The common oats will run about $12 a bag. The Buck Forage Oats were about $18 a bag last year. I can't say that the deer won't eat the common oats, but I know they love the Buck Forage Oats. We will be planting about 22 plots in Sept and they will all be Buck Forage Oats with some of them having white clover overplanted. I have some residual rye in my plots I wish I could get rid of.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

wlf89; try a bag of each and see if you find any difference.

Dan O.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:24 PM

You can put out some wire rings to keep the deer frpm eating a small area and that will tell you wich is growing bigger and which they are eating more of.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have tried both and had much better success with the Buck Forage Oats. The deer loved them all Fall and they came back strong in the spring even after a harsh winter. Last year I tried plot spike oats and oats from the local seed store and had terrible results. They were not nearly as hardy. Did not tolerate the grazing as well and did not come back in the spring at all. I am convinced it is worth the extra money to plant the Buck Forage Oats. I also mix in a few purple top turnips in my oats field with great results. Good luck.