HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Government Habitat Programs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/198049-government-habitat-programs.html)

kshunter 07-17-2007 02:44 PM

Government Habitat Programs

I'm pretty new to all of this, so I thought I would ask if anyone knew of some ideas. Recently I purchasedfarmstead with 20 Acres of land, with a small creek going through it. Right now it is basically ungrazed pasture with broam and native glass, with trees along the drainage.

Here's a picture

What I would like to do is basically make a small Wildlife Santuary. I would really like to put some tall grasses like CRP, throughout the whole pasture. I also plan on plantingmany more trees, mainly along the road, so game can feel more secure.

I remember reading something about the CRP program being scraped by the government recently. I'm not sure if I would meet the standards of it anyways. I'm not looking to make any money, just seeing seeing what type of programs may be out thereto helpsomeone wanting to improve the Habitat for Wildlife, like in my case. As you can tell, I'm pretty green to all of this. Thanks for any help.

Criggster 07-17-2007 05:08 PM

RE: Government Habitiat Programs

Check on the Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP). It is another good program, and one that I have personally implemented on my farm.

nchawkeye 07-18-2007 04:32 PM

Find the County agent or the local Soil and Water agent, in NC their office is usually in the courthouse...
You are on the right track, we have converted some of our land to wildlife land, especially along waterways
as we have problems with too much phosphorous in the rivers in eastern NC, causing too many nutrients in the
rivers and having fish kills...

Good thing is, they are paying more than what farm land rents for...

yeoman 07-19-2007 08:35 PM

KS Hunter - an outline of sorts

CRP - conservation reserve program - pays you not to plant pretty much any ground - national average around $50/acre

CREP- conservation reserve enhancement program - pays around$75/acre - targets sensitive areas for water quality generally within 300' of waterways. warm season grasses, cool season grasses or reforestation options

WRP- wetlands reserve program - they'll pay 75-100% of cost to develop wetlands depending on length of time on easement - 15 or 30 years - more restrictive recently

WHIP- wildlife habitat improvement program - cost sharing to 75% for establishing native warm season grasses and trees

I'd recommend two contacts:

NRCS - natural resource conservation service and your state forest service. You might work through the forest service or department of natural resources to get the contact at NRCS. I did that here in Maryland and felt as though that may have helped with the reception I received, partly because i knew who to ask for and because I got an education before getting there. NRCS has the power over the first 3 programs so do not rub anyone wrong there.

Good luck and hope you fulfill the dream.

daleh 07-20-2007 03:44 PM

Sorry Bud,
All the Goverment contracts are to set land aside from farming.
In order to qualify your land must have been used as agriculture for the last few years. they check this by the records at your local farm office.
20 acres even if you qualified still is not going to make you a big amount of money.
I would suggest that you go with your thoughts of leaving it alone for wild life. Plant a few food plots and make sure you burn or lightly disc every other year to prevent trees from popping up

North Texan 07-21-2007 12:07 AM

Here, the EQIP program is probably the biggest and the easiest to qualify for. I don't know what it takes to qualify, but your local NRCS office can tell you that.

Trees and your native tall grasses will have to be in seperate areas. Native tall grasses require full sunlight. Tall grasses, like Indiangrass, Little Bluestem, Big Bluestem, and Switchgrass make great cover for deer. If the area is big enough, doe will almost always prefer to fawn in tall grasses. The fawns can lay down in them, and unless a predator literally steps on them, they can't find them. Also if you have any quail or other ground nesting birds, their nesting success rates will skyrocket in tall grasses.

I wouldn't worry about a food plot. Unless you are just wanting to attract deer, food plots need to be 5 acres or larger to really be effective. Taking 5 acres out for a food plot doesn't leave you with a lot left. If you have cropland in the area, especially wheat, let the farmers do the feeding.

Kansas Hayseed 07-21-2007 10:51 PM

I have been in the WHIP program through NRCS for 4 yrs. My program is for about 30 acres and will last 5yrs. I planted a 40 yard wide strip of native grass along all of my waterways, about 550-600 yards long. Food plots of ladino clover and various other "experiments" over the years. The 2 food plots are 3-4 acres. The native grass also qualifies for a water inprovement program. Contact your county NRCS office. They are not alot of help with the money end, but loads of help with knowledge!

falcon 07-22-2007 06:14 AM

"Native tall grasses require full sunlight. Tall grasses, like Indiangrass, Little Bluestem, Big Bluestem, and Switchgrass make great cover for deer. If the area is big enough, doe will almost always prefer to fawn in tall grasses. The fawns can lay down in them, and unless a predator literally steps on them, they can't find them. Also if you have any quail or other ground nesting birds, their nesting success rates will skyrocket in tall grasses."

One of our places is 80 acres with about half in woods that has deep ravines.The rest is in big bluestem. This stuff gets five feet tall. Thedoes do prefer to have their fawns in the tall grass and hide them there. The deer even prefer tobed in the grass in the winter. All theother land around thereis heavily pastured withcattle horses.That place is a deer and quail magnet.