HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Fall Food Plot (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/197349-fall-food-plot.html)

MichaelHunsucker 07-11-2007 06:02 PM

Fall Food Plot

Im trying to decide what to plant this fall for my food plots. I live in central MO and have very high deer density, so i will need something that germinates quickly and produces a lot of tunage per acre.

Those of you who have more experience then i might be able to suggest something. It would be greatly apreciated!

I was thinking of planting BioLogic Maximum, a mixture of New Zealand brassicas.

farm hunter 07-11-2007 08:35 PM

RE: Fall Food Plot

If a Fall hunting plot is in your plans -

I'd stay with a Cereal Grain - like Rye, Winter Wheat or Winter oats. Its high in palatability, its desireable BEFORE frosts and freezes - and it grows quickly with little prep or $$.

FH

MichaelHunsucker 07-11-2007 08:57 PM

You really think that would be a better crop to plant in august than the brassicas?

timbercruiser 07-11-2007 09:12 PM

Buck Forage Oats

Chris_H 07-11-2007 09:19 PM

Rye is what I had last year. I planted it in august and it stayed green through January, not to mention very little time and money. Although, I would prefer winter oats. Just like farm hunter said, it takes very little prep and money. Deer love 'em!

ILL BUCK 07-11-2007 10:29 PM

Mike, are you stuck on having to plant in august?? Plant cereal grains labor day weekend and you will not be disapointed.
I am going to try some rye this year but I know for sure my deer love buck forage oats.

Biologics new outfitters blend looks really interesting to me! It has wheat, oats austian winter peas and triticale ( a rye-wheat cross).

MichaelHunsucker 07-11-2007 10:39 PM

This year i want to get a fall food plot in since i didnt get it done this spring....next spring will be planting a beans/corn mix

falcon 07-12-2007 06:59 AM

i will plant spike plot oats again this year, just a lot more of them. Ours wintered really well. The deer loved them. Come spring timethe oatsreally took off,grew and headed out. Then the quail took up residence in the oats patches. Will plant mine about1 September. They should be ready for the deer by the time OK muzzleloader season comes in on 15 October.

IL-Cornfed 07-12-2007 11:02 AM

I've consistently had more deer attracted to a mix with brassicas in it than any cereal grain mix like oats and/or wheat that didn't offer it. Of course, I realize that individual deer have different preferences just like humans do but this has been my observation over the past few seasons. I've NEVER seen this heavy attraction to Forage Oats like many folks have mentioned. No matter what I do or where I locate the plots, my deer just don't seem to get to worked up about it?

falcon 07-12-2007 12:25 PM

"No matter what I do or where I locate the plots, my deer just don't seem to get to worked up about it?"

The deer on our places did get worked up about it. Time and time again iwatched them leave the feeder and go graze on the oats.