Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fall Food Plot

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fall Food Plot

hmmm...this fall im going to go ahead and try the Biologic Maximum and see how they like that. If they dont tend to eat in that plot often i will be trying something different next spring!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Why not try a mix like Green Patch Plus(Wheat, Oats, Brassicas, and Clover). We've had real good luck with it the last 2 years. Plant it around labor day and deer will hammer it through the 1st of the year. This year should be really good for hunting food plots since the oaks got blasted with that late April frost,and there probably won't be many acorns.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try what you want - thats the best way to find out what works best for you.

In my area - Upstate NY - The deer could have cared less about my Brassica plots ( 3 plots in 4 years) until December/January. I was glad about the fact that they did get on the plots eventually- but not thrilled that it was more often out of season.

last year's brassica plot - Sept Pic.

fh
Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

Try what you want - thats the best way to find out what works best for you.

In my area - Upstate NY - The deer could have cared less about my Brassica plots ( 3 plots in 4 years) until December/January. I was glad about the fact that they did get on the plots eventually- but not thrilled that it was more often out of season.

last year's brassica plot - Sept Pic.

fh
When did you plant these?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I planted my maximum the weekend of 8/12 last year and it looked like this by 10/7.

With that said, they nibbled on it a bit in the early season, but didn't really focus on it until probably the first week in November. Frost really has to hit it pretty hard to sweeten it a bit it seems before they will get on it. Once they started focusing on it though this plot was like a zoo. I still had browsing on this plot before then, but they were focusing on my strip of chicory/clover that was next to this strip of Maximum. Last year I decided to plant seperated strips in my plots of different seed that had seeds geared towards different seasons.

My advice is buy a small bag of Maximum, and a small bag of Tecomate Monster Mix (clover/chicory) and then you have something that will produce forage from April to February. Plus your Monster Mix will come back as an annual for a few years so next year you only have to plant half the acreage.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Matt. Im actually planting in a clover/brome field so there will be pleanty of that around the food plot!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Planted mine on July 30th last year.

FH
Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 AM

I would certainly recommend going to our website www.sportssalesoutdoor.com and clicking on NutriPlot. They are a company based out of Missouri and have test plots all over the country with many in Missouri. They have some awesome seed blends for planting different parts of the year. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Ryan