HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Got some private land - need food plot ideas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/194097-got-some-private-land-need-food-plot-ideas.html)

kodiak41226 06-11-2007 09:04 PM

Got some private land - need food plot ideas

Well I finally have some private land to hunt, thank God. No more driving 1-3 hours all the time. The land is really small and their will be 2 of us hunting it. The whole thing is 18 acres, but only about 2 of it is woods, 3 of it is a field, and the other 12 is swamp. We have planted quite a bit of clover in the field. I will hunt on side of the field and my buddy has the other. Most likely we will be using bait to maximize our chances withe area being so tiny.

Do you guys have anything else other than Biologic (and maybe cheaper) that you would put down?

LebeauHunter 06-11-2007 09:38 PM

RE: Got some private land - need food plot ideas

Don't know why this is in bowhunting, but congrats on the land.

With a parcel that small you will either need to bring the deer to you (baiting and food plots), or maybe leave 5 acres off limits where they are bedding as a sanctuary. I would use a couple corn feeders. You could mix it up and add chicory, rape, peas, oats, or something else to the clover.

Probably one of the most important things will be to size up the land around you. See what is going on, how people hunt around you or feed around you and hunt appropriately. Go to google earth and get an aerial and topographic map of the property and look for funnels, points, and again, pay attention to the land feeding into yours.

Just a couple of things, good luck.

Okiaroslinger 06-12-2007 01:56 PM

I have had good luck with Rape but it does not attract them until after a frost has hit it.

Large Lad 06-13-2007 12:09 PM

Find a late maturing Roundup Ready Forage Soybean to plant and follow with broadcasting wheat prior to the leaves falling off. You will have standing soybean for cover and a winter cereal growing at the same time come season.

timbercruiser 06-13-2007 02:03 PM

Buck Forage Oats

daleh 06-14-2007 09:19 PM

On 18 acres i would not spend the money for a food plot. You will be hunting their nieghbors deer.
Put out some corn and hope for the best

IL-Cornfed 06-15-2007 10:53 AM

Try some Brassica blend. Anything turnip-like would be a great choice especially once the temps drop and it frosts heavily. Bio-Logic makes a very inexpensive blend called Green Patch Plus that will grow nearly anywhere and should be planted in the Fall (late Aug to Sept). It contains assorted Brassica/wheat/oats. It would be my choice for the tiny loaction that you've described. Good luck on your small tract. Also, don't settle for just that one small piece, continue to seek out permission to hunt more. Good luck bud

IL-Cornfed 06-15-2007 10:55 AM

I thought I would give ya a pic of what one of my GPP plots looked like last season

Here's a Buck Forage Oats plot as well, another Fall planting