HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Question on weeds and flavor (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/192267-question-weeds-flavor.html)

kdsberman 05-23-2007 11:25 AM

Question on weeds and flavor

I dont have a lot of farm equipment to make a VERY good food plot, but i did manage to get on in last year. I got it in a little late and it came up a little, but this year has really shot up. Its looking good, pretty thick and tall in spots. Some spots are blank, having no clover, i dont know how that happened but oh well. Now there are some weeds around but i dont know how to get rid of them. So far it doesnt look like the weeds are affecting the plots growth too much. I've heard that if there are weeds around that it can affect the flavor of the clover and the deer wont like it as much...is this true? What can i do to get rid of any weeds while the plot is standing and growing?? Like i said before, i dont have much equipment. By the way..the plot is only about 1/4 acre or so...not very big but its a start i guess. Thanks for any help you have.

nchawkeye 05-23-2007 12:09 PM

RE: Question on weeds and flavor

If I read that right you planted clover...It's typical for clover to come on strong in the spring after fall planting...The easiest and cheapest way to control weeds is to keep it mowed...When the weeds get anywhere from 12-18 inches tall, cut it down to 6-8 inches...

You didn't mention what type "weeds" you have, if its just grasses, they won't choke out the clover, just keep it mowed....It you want to remove them by spraying, either Post or Arrest will take care of grasses and leave broadleafs alone.

You should also fertilize and lime your plot...After it is up use 4-20-24, clover makes its own nitrogen that's why you need less, it needs potassium and pot ash to help the roots grow and spread...Lime helps put calcium into the plants,which
helps with antler growth.

kdsberman 05-24-2007 11:37 AM

What should i use to mow the clover? I dont know if it makes a difference, but we the the plot divided into thirds...1/3 being biologic, 1/3 being imperial, and the other 1/3 some off brand. Can i use a weed wacker? The field is only 1/4 acre so it wouldnt take too much time with one.

nchawkeye 05-25-2007 05:43 AM

I'd use a push mower over a string trimmer...It will give you a cleaner cut and more consistant height...Just cut it as high as you can raise the deck, which will probably be 3 1/2 to 4 inches...

psandhu 05-25-2007 09:47 AM

i agree with the riding or push mower. you could possibly use a wick or a paintbrushto put a 10% soln of 41% gly on any broadleaf weeds.

answerguy 05-26-2007 08:29 AM

Yes, it works on alfalfa too. However I have only used smaller doses of glyphosate at about 1/2 qt per acre. I have not the nerve to hit my clover/alfalfa plots with 1 to 2 qts per acre. Grasses are more susseptable to gly than broadleaf weeds. Weeds can be controled by well timed mowings. It is a food plot, I don't mind a little grass. Just want to make sure the clover has the majority advantage.
This is from the QDMA website. I have used this method with my clover and it does work.

Criggster 06-01-2007 06:40 PM

Weeds growing amongst your clover should not affect your clovers taste unless it is stealing nutrients to the point of leaving the clover undernurished. To remedy this spray with poast, mow it, or fertilize it with a low or no nitrogen fertilizer (0-10-10). The clover makes it's own nitrogen and any extra will feed the weeds and make the problem worse.