Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Crop Rotation... Soy or corn which is better >

Crop Rotation... Soy or corn which is better

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Crop Rotation... Soy or corn which is better

Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Crop Rotation... Soy or corn which is better

I have seen people swear by both sides of this. I would try and do a search on here but the search tool wouldn't work. I was just wondering because half of my spots are corn and half of my spots are soy. My problem with corn is that in the fall before it gets harvested the deer just shack up in the corn and never come out.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crop Rotation... Soy or corn which is better

This is my personal feeling and no way scientific.
I prefer corn.
Soy beans are good early but the deer seem to taper off as the beans get closer to harvest.
The deer to tend to hang up in the corn, but then again, corn seems to attract more deer. If you can find a travel route in and out of the corn, you should be able to score big. Deer will often travel along side the corn if there is adjoining cover, ie a trail between the corn and the woods. Now if you can locate an alfalfa field near by and find a trail that leads from corn to alfalfa, you can be it will be a hot location as they love alfalfa and will frequently travel back and forth.
My opinion.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Although the farmer that leases our tillable acres has done soy for abunch of years now, it was corn for a few years before that and there were many more deer around when it was corn - especially bucks and I think that was due to the cover the corn provided.

But I'm with the pastor on you can whack them on their travels in and out and the paths are not hard to find. We are (were) quite fortunate in that we set up on enterance/exit routes from the corn that were on the creek beds.

Corn.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Spike

Grow a taller later maturing soybean that will give your deer something to munch on until frost. The taller soybean will also give them cover. This is why we developed our Roundup Ready Forage Soybean lines. Very late maturing at up to 6 feet tall with almost twice as much biomass. But if the farmer is going to harvest these, this is not what he will want you to plant.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

One of the things I've notice is in Oct Nov they are in the corn, when the temps turn real cold and the snow blowing they go back the the beans especially if it is standing beans.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

post moved
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 PM

I would do a Corn patch in the shape of an" L "and inside the" L " plant hay.Meand my buddy see lots of deer in setups just like that. But you could also do that same setup but instead of hay use a food plot mixture.
Good Luck
Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: pikecofoodplotter

One of the things I've notice is in Oct Nov they are in the corn, when the temps turn real cold and the snow blowing they go back the the beans especially if it is standing beans.
I agree 100%