Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Salt block theory

Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Salt block theory

The obvious benefit is the improvement of the deer's diet and health and therefore rack growth. I am by no means a horn hunter so shooting a 200 class deer isfar from my mainconcern. My question is if I place salt blocksduring spring and summer do you guys think that it will alter their movement patterns so that they will visit that area more often in the fall? Essentially getting them into a routine for the fall months. For the few dollars it cost for the blocks I can't see where it would hurt, but I was curious if you think I'll see any benefits.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Salt block theory

Deer like the taste of salt and it aids in digestion but NO, I wouldn't count on a salt lick having any effect on deer movement come Fall. They will have no use for the salt once the summer ends.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realize they have no need for it after the summer ends, what I was hoping for was to get them into a pattern of visiting that area. I've seen deer paths that were wore down to the dirt and then a tree fell overit and they changed their path by as much as 50-60 yards.I was just curious as to if anyone else had done this and seen any changes in their deer patterns.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

isometimes hunt deer and hogs on ahuge place that has no cattle: No cattle=no salt for the game. i do have a salt lick there.Deer frequentthat salt lickall year long. It is used the most in the summer and fall. Great place to shoot hogs.

Have not noticed any changes in the traffic pattern of the deer. There is a pond 20 yards away from the salt lick.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

In 2005, I had a camera at one of my salt licks. In July I was getting 2-3 vists per day. In Sept. about one per week.

As you said it's just a few bucks. Add minerals and it will improve the racks you see.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree that it does not hep with patterns come fall. I thought the same thing you did, and kept careful track with my Cuddeback - and I cannot say that the deer that frequented the lick the most in the summer - were around any more or less than other deer come fall.

I do think that there might be some benefit of a Lickfor does establishing a "home range" - but I've not proved it to myself yet.

FH
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 AM

alot of times they visit them at night
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember that the salt blocks sold for cattle aren't the same as the mineral mixes used for antler growth. The salt will attract but other materials such as calcium and phosphate are required for antler growth.

Dan O.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dan O.

Just remember that the salt blocks sold for cattle aren't the same as the mineral mixes used for antler growth. The salt will attract but other materials such as calcium and phosphate are required for antler growth.

Dan O.
Is there any way to mix the salt blocks for cattle with minerals used for antlers??
Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try to do a search on this forum for "mineral". Several mix recipeshave been offered over the past few years.

Dan O.

Quick Reply: Salt block theory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.