Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 If you could have one:Disk Harrow, cultivator, moldboard plow??? >

If you could have one:Disk Harrow, cultivator, moldboard plow???

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

If you could have one:Disk Harrow, cultivator, moldboard plow???

Old 05-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default RE which implement to use

Originally Posted by RackLuster
I'm going to start on my food plot this weekend now that I have an area cleared out and I want to buy just one implement for preparing the soil. Plus, the wifey has me on a budget since I bought land and a wheeler this year .

I know people have trouble breaking ground for the first time w/ disks, moldboards are supposed to be bad for the soil and hard to turn, and the cultivator looks more like it's for cultivating between rows of plants not necessarily for soil preparation. So, I need help. Which should I get?

I should note that the soil is mostly clay w/ pockets of real nice black dirt. the plot is rather small (less than one acre) and I'm going to have some problems with roots as there are some saplings and the area had been logged about 5-6 years ago (although all the stumps are gone).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm about ready to cold call an old farmer for some advice.

Thanks
Hey Rack, Try out a plotmaster. There are several models to choose from and you can plant multiblend seeds with out breaking seed hulls or seed seperating in the box while planting. It comes complete with double gang disc, drag and cultipacker and would reccomend the chisle plow attachment for breaking upen hardpan or new ground as well as allowing water and oxwgen flow in the soil. I plant from Alabama to Mo for clients and for a one peice unit that can disc, plow, drag seed and cultipac I do not have to hook and un hook 4 to 5 different attachments to get the job done. if I can help further let us know and wish you we llon your plots this year.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mass Nutrition Inc
Hey Rack, Try out a plotmaster. There are several models to choose from and you can plant multiblend seeds with out breaking seed hulls or seed seperating in the box while planting. It comes complete with double gang disc, drag and cultipacker and would reccomend the chisle plow attachment for breaking upen hardpan or new ground as well as allowing water and oxwgen flow in the soil. I plant from Alabama to Mo for clients and for a one peice unit that can disc, plow, drag seed and cultipac I do not have to hook and un hook 4 to 5 different attachments to get the job done. if I can help further let us know and wish you we llon your plots this year.
If his old lady is still lookn over his shoulder & "keepin score" of his equipment expenditure$, she'll have a flatout conniption fit when she sees the price tag on a Plotmaster!

I'm all for quality equipment & believe that you get what you pay for, but whoever priced the PMs must have a serious substance addiction!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Spike

As much as I would love a machine to do the back breakin work for me, I use a hoe, and an airrator that you step on. Haha. 10yd x 10yd plots hand dug in Virginia clay. Woo!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Spike

Doing it on the cheap? When hunting in Virginia we use a few free range chickens in a net. They tear up the ground then we run a disk over it quickly (not too deep). I put my seed in a bucket and broadcast by hand. Take the same disk with a drag on the back and quickly run over it to get the seed about 1/4" in the ground.

Chickens provide the fertilizer. If you don't have a disk...pay a neighbor to disk it for you. That is the cheapest way. Then you don't have to maintain equipment.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

My answer to this quesiton was a rototiller........a 42" one that digs 6" deep. It does a wonderful job, really loosens up the soil nice.

Then I hook up the spreader & fertilize/lime & seed.

This is just powered by a 26hp John Deere all terain lawn tractor. Use the same Deere to mow with. Works good on small areas.

Or on larger plots, 4020 & the usual mix of farming gear.

Last edited by craig; 04-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Rackluster...its nice to see how things progressed over the past 5 years and what equipment You found to work the best for Your soil.We've just went up in the Big Timber where we hunt and used the small King Kutter ATV disc like You mentioned to break up new fresh soil and we planted 4 small food plots of Durana Clover near our stands where we Deer Hunt.

Luckily the Land Owner usually plows and Disc's up the larger Food Plots we use and hunt near on our Lease,then we go in and plant the seed with a 4-Wheeler then lightly cover the seed with the soil by dragging the mesh diamond shaped fencing also so its lightly covered up.We usually plant a combination of Rape,Brassicas,Turnips and Groundhog Raddishes with some wheat around the edges for good measure.

Here at the Family Farm we use a smaller 4-wheel drive Ford to plow with then disc the soil and spread seed with electric spreader then lightly disc or drag the soil over to cover the seed up.We planted sunflower seeds,oats and more Durana Clover in different food plots this April.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another spammer from overseas with more than 60 posts all over the threads in less than 45 minutes after he joined. What do these jerks get by doing this?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Another spammer from overseas with more than 60 posts all over the threads in less than 45 minutes after he joined. What do these jerks get by doing this?

Use the Yellow Triangle and report spam....to comment such as you did can place you on the list I just found out.

I went to delete spam and ban the author and those who commented - their IP address also got put on the list. If I had not had enough coffee......they also would have gotten banned.....
So just use the Yellow triangle. Report the spam and let it go....we will take care of it.

I am posting this and will go back and redo the list as it will cause more work. So you have been given notice......

Thanks
JW
Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's what I always do and will keep on helping like I did with a bunch of them this AM! 2 spammers alone had over 130 posts on all the threads in less than 45 minutes! I wonder if they get so much money per post for doing that or if they just like to torment others. Probably both, LOL!