HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Watering hole (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/189795-watering-hole.html)

rankbull 04-27-2007 10:34 AM

Watering hole

The past few years I have been using kitty pools for a watering hole. The amount of animals I see is amazing. My problem is that I have to buy a new one every year and they just do not hold enough water, I have to fill it every couple days. Have been thinking about making a bigger one out of concrete. Has anyone tryed this or other options.

Antler Addict 04-27-2007 07:22 PM

RE: Watering hole

rankbull, if this is on land where you can do want you want, and know someone that has a bobcat or can rent one, you can dig a nice little watering hole for not a whole lot of money. These little isolated water holes can be a big draw to animals as you have seen. Concrete and kitty pools can get expensive.

rankbull 04-27-2007 09:14 PM

thanks for the support, I dont know if my soil will hold water well that is why I think I need something to help hold it. I do have a bobcat available to me and it is my property that I am working on.

Antler Addict 04-27-2007 09:51 PM

rankbull, not sure exactly who to contact, I think your county extension office, and see about having a perk test done on the area where you might want a water hole. There is also an additive called bentonite (sp?) which helps in holding water when added to the soil.

timbercruiser 04-28-2007 06:53 AM

Bentonite may work in some cases, but it isn't a real feasible sealer.

NiceAndBlue 04-28-2007 11:52 AM

what about one of the rubber-made ponds you can buy? they might be a little small but idk they may make big ones too.

if u search for "pond" on www.homedepot.com you can find some. (i tried to post a link but it wasn't working)

fnicoletti 04-28-2007 07:48 PM

Go to lowes or other home builders supply and get 14 mil or better gold fish pond liner. Just be sure and remove any debris that might puncture the liner under the weight of the water (7 lbs per gallon) and layer the bottom of your pond with clean sand as a protective barrier.

eatsleephunt 04-29-2007 04:47 PM

What about a cattle trough. Some of the old-style Forest Service guzzlers constructed for that reason are made from fiberglass live stock water troughs. They use roofing tin and pvc/black-line conduit to conduct rainwater into them so you don't have to constantly refill. Helps to construct them on a grade and in shade.

Try googleing for guzzlers.

Dan O. 04-29-2007 05:28 PM

This is the season when people replace their swimming pool liners. Ask around for the old liners or call a swimming pool store. If they're installing a new one they need to get rid of the old. Double it over for extra wear. The wildlife doesn't seem to mind that they're "blue".

Dan O.

habitat 05-01-2007 09:43 AM

search pond liners and you can get it all different sizes