Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turner Seed Company...

Old 04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turner Seed Company...

Anybody used them before?

http://www.turnerseed.com/site/Default.htm
Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Turner Seed Company...

Never used them but I was looking at their product directory and I like the wildlife mixes that they have...I may have to try them out!!

DeerHuntMO
Old 04-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

They came recommended. I guess you would have to get it shipped to you?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've bought stuff there before. They are only about 25 miles south of me, and I know most of the folks that work there.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

I've bought stuff there before. They are only about 25 miles south of me, and I know most of the folks that work there.
Nice... what has your experience been and have you planted any of their mixes. Have you triedthiernative sunflowers before?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've gotten good stands up both times I've planted the B-Dahl bluestem. With it, I was reseeding where I had cleared brush with a dozer and a skid loader. The first pasture I did, the results were almost instant. Within a week of seeding, it rained, and it rained all summer, and I got up a great stand. The next time I did that, it didn't rain most of the summer. But it rained in late August, and the B-Dahl came on up. Results still weren't bad.

I did the same thing with a bluestem mix last year. I haven't looked at it this year, but I don't expect it has done much yet. I'll probably have to wait four or five more years before I can accurately evaluate the results. I'm trying to re-establish some of the historical climax species that used to be here, and it is a lot harder to get a good stand of them up than it is for most other species.

I've done some other stuff (giant bermuda, kleingrass, Illinois bundleflower), and the results were mixed. If it rains at the right time, it works. If not, then it is hard to keep the undesirables from taking over. That Illinois bundleflower sure looks like the ticket for wildlife if a person could ever get a stand up. Doing the pit-type seeding, I couldn't keep the wildlife away from it long enough for it to ever grow big enough to survive. I have a spot that looks like I seeded the stuff, but it's naturally occuring, and the deer and quail love it. The deer like it when it is green and growing, and it makes a bunch of nice, big seeds the quail go crazy over.

I haven't ever done anything with sunflowers. To me, they are a nuisance. They will come up in my fields like crazy if I don't keep them plowed, and they also spring up like crazy when I clear pastures. There are enough native seeds here they come up everywhere, anyway. All I have to do is plow something or doze something, and sunflowers show up.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info... ya our property doesnt have one sunflower on it; strange for my part of the world. I hear they are suppose to be easy to establish and they aregreat for dove, turkeys, and deer as well as being native and able to take texas weather conditions.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Considering I live about 30 minutes from this place, I love the people there and they are good on everything. My father buys all the breeders cubes and everything else there. They have really good corn and protein mixes as well.