HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   What brand of brassicas is best?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/188516-what-brand-brassicas-best.html)

bhunter50 04-16-2007 12:30 PM

What brand of brassicas is best??

Last year I planted in a shady area with monster mixand had mediocre success at best and the crop probably will not return, wasted a lot of money.This year I am going to try a brassica blend that will do better in this area, what brand names and choices are there that will yield the best result?

timbercruiser 04-16-2007 01:58 PM

RE: What brand of brassicas is best??

If you have enough room, plant a half plot of the brassicas and half in Buck Forage Oats. I don't know anybody personally that has had great luck with the brassicas.

falcon 04-16-2007 04:12 PM

The spike oats are really great.Planted a small plot of them last fall along with the wheat. Wish that i had plantedall spike oats. They did really well and the deer loved them. Now the oats are growingand the quail will have some food when they mature.

IL-Cornfed 04-16-2007 06:53 PM

I've tried a few different kinds of Brassica and the best (easiest growing) I've found is actually Tecomote Ultra Forage Mix.

timbercruiser 04-16-2007 09:26 PM

I've seen a number of photo's of brassica plots that were lush and green, but there wasn't a lot of sign of the deer eating them. We tried a couple of plots a few years ago and unless you wanted a mess of greens to eat, they were worthless. Our oats are eaten off almost at ground level.

TROPHYHUNTER25 04-17-2007 04:42 AM

i don't care for barrasic never any luck looks good but they don't eat it. on my property

IL-Cornfed 04-17-2007 08:23 AM

I've found that in a good brassica mix you'll have varities that mature at different rates and the deer will be specific on when they utilize each of them.

The deer begin eating my plots a fair amount come November. MK_M_GBL has had tremendous results in October with his brassica plots and has the photos of mature trophy class bucks gorging themselves on his plots. You just have to give your deer a season or two to know what exactly the food source is. As with any food plot, don't expect miracles.

ben673 04-17-2007 08:46 AM

I agree, the first year the deer didn't touch them until December. But, the second year and last year they were eating them by the middle of October. We've had our best luck by planting small 1/3-1/2 acre plots with Ladino Clover and Chicory in late March and then disking them and over seeding with a blend of Oats and Brassicas in late Aug. We have 7 plots like this with plans for 3 more, and they have proved very effective and fairly easy to maintain.

BowHuntingFool 04-17-2007 09:06 AM

I tried a small plot just to see if the seed would do good, the deer never really gave it a chance! I started it for a fall plot and the deer just hammered it from the start! The elk didn't help it either!

Criggster 04-17-2007 12:11 PM

I have only tried the brassicas from Evolved Habitat, and have had great results! I planted the shot plot variety last fall and they even eat some of the bulbs after the greens were gone. I've had such good success with their brassicas that I have not tried any other brands.