HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Round Up Ready Corn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/188029-round-up-ready-corn.html)

Chig Daddi 04-11-2007 09:51 PM

Round Up Ready Corn

I just purchased a Covington two row planter a few weeks ago. I planted some roundup ready corn and iron clay peas. My question is, Can I use regular Round Up (like what is on the shelf at Lowes, Home Depot etc) or do I have to use some agricultural grade Round Up? Obviously I am not spraying the peas. Someone was telling me about something you can add to the round up to make it stick better to the weeds. Does anyone know about this? If so, please let me know. I have planted 16 food plots that average about a half acre in size. I bought a sprayer for my atv to spray the plots with the round up. The corn I planted a couple of weeks ago is about 2-4 inches high when I last looked. When should I apply the first round of round up? Does the round up come before the ammonia nitrate or after?
Thanks

TROPHYHUNTER25 04-12-2007 04:59 AM

RE: Round Up Ready Corn

i would get the agr. kind

HighCotton 04-12-2007 06:55 AM

Roundup Ready means it is resistant to glyphosate (Roundup, Cornerstone, many others) or sulfinosate (Touchdown Total made by Syngenta). It doesn't matter what brand of glyphosate you use it will not hurt the corn. There are different ag formulations made - the only difference in them is the surfactant package they contain for a more sensitive crop (like cotton) and the lbs. of active ingredient they contain. For corn, go with the cheapest generic you can buy - you will NEVER know the difference in formulations. Corn should be sprayed with roundup before 30 inches tall, spraying later will mess up the ear and pollination. The ammonium nitrate can go out at any time but I would get some or all of my nitrogen in the ground to get the corn started. General recs for corn are 1/3 nitrogen at planting and the othe 2/3 at V6 (around 12 inches tall). Hope this helps.

Chig Daddi 04-12-2007 07:02 PM

Thanks Cotton,
I appreciate the help. I planted 7 food plots two weeks ago and 9 food plots a week ago.
I have always broadcast spread for planting but brokedown and purchased this two row planter. This is our first year for planting summer plots. I hope it helps.
Thanks for the info.
Take Care

RonM 04-14-2007 05:49 PM

Where do you live that you planted field corn in March... We are tryting to get it warmed up enough here in Delaware so that we can start planting 4000 acres of RR corn....

HighCotton 04-14-2007 08:12 PM

I live in Arkansas and crop consult in Mississippi. All of our corn has been in the ground 3-4 weeks now. We had a freeze last week but most of the corn made it through it. It devestated the wheat crop in my area, a lot of farmers will probably make nothing.

RonM 04-15-2007 09:20 AM

We have in 1806 acres of wheat and our biggest problem is snow geese, I have chased them all winter and there are still some around, We are right along the Delaware River in the heart of the Atlantic flyway.

Chig Daddi 04-15-2007 01:25 PM

I live in South East Alabama

I live in Southern Alabama. Temperature has been averaging around 80 degrees. My corn has about 3-4 leaves on it now.
I also planted some japanese sweet corn( I think it is spelled Meri - pronounced MA-RYE). This corn was a $150.00 for a 5 lb bag, I may be a sucker for buying it. Obviously I cant spray it with round up.Temperature of the soil is supposed to be at least 65 degrees for it to germinate.
I also planted a boat load of iron clay peas.

RonM 04-16-2007 02:29 PM

RE: I live in South East Alabama

It is 4:30 pm on Apr 16th we just had 5 inches of rain and temp is 45 degrees F, the seed corn is still in the barn...

Rebel Hog 04-16-2007 02:55 PM

RE: I live in South East Alabama

ORIGINAL: RonM

It is 4:30 pm on Apr 16th we just had 5 inches of rain and temp is 45 degrees F, the seed corn is still in the barn...
http://fcgi.weather.com/fcgi-bin/mmas/0.7503322187921946/mmas.fcgi?fmt=asx&clip=mms://twc.wmod.llnwd.net/a189/e1/multimedia/video/li