Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

3pt tillers for food plots?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Default 3pt tillers for food plots?

Hey guys, Ive always wanted a 3 point tiller for the back of my tractor for my food plots. Ive found one and am wanting to buy it, but wanted everyones opinion on them. It is a 5 ft Yanmar brand that is in pretty much new condition, its been factory reconditioned, it isnt the heaviest duty one Ive seen, but Ive seen a lot of them made much lighter than this one. How wel do they do for food plots, I know I dont want to getit into big rocks and heavy tree roots or big stumps, but how well do they hold up hitting small rocks and an occasional tree root or small stump? Also I can buy it for $500. Should I get it? Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 3pt tillers for food plots?

I had rather have a good heavy disc with adjustable angle blades and a spike tooth drag. I'm not sure what advantage a tiller would have, and hitting a bad root or stump could be expensive..
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 AM

we used a tiller to plant clover in a old corn field and it worked amazing. But there were no rocks or roots
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have a tiller & a disc. I think the Irice is very good since i bought a used Beefco for $800. The tiller would prepare the ground better for a seed bed better than a disc.

The disc works O-kay if the ground was tilleda couple of times. For small rocks & stumps the tiler will be OKay.After tilling or discing the ground, I drag a gate behind an ATV, seed, then drag the gate back over the seed.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys, I have a disc, and it doesnt work well at all. It is a small light disc and my tractor isnt big enough for a heavy one, with my disc I have to go over it again and again, and still dont get it in really good shape. I thought the tiller would work fine if I plowed the ground first then go over it with the tiller. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

The tiller will do what you want it to do. You don't need to disc the ground first before tilling. That what a tiller does.

Have you tried placing railroad ties ontop of your disc for more weight?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

I tried adding weight to my disc and ended up breaking welds on it, so I had to take it back off. I hope to be able to do away with my disc. I thought I may use a single bottom plow on new plots to break through tree roots and turn up big rocks to get them out of the way before tilling. I hope its worth it, Im goin to look at the tiller tomorrow and will probably buy it if it looks solid and works good. Thanks guys.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Tillers work great!

The only downfall is that eventually they break down and you will have to repair it. That's just the nature of equipment with that many moving parts. It's still worth it in my mind. The work great for food plots.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

do you guys spray roundup on the grass and weeds before you till? or do you just till the dang thigns under and let them grow??
Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: petrey10

do you guys spray roundup on the grass and weeds before you till? or do you just till the dang thigns under and let them grow??
Kill them first with roundup. Those grass rootballs can be hard to kill by just tilling alone.

Ideally, spray, wait 2 weeks, till, wait until you see new weeds sprout, spray, wait 1 week, lightly till and seed. Depends somewhat on what you are planting and if there has ever been a plot there before.

Quick Reply: 3pt tillers for food plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.